[SOLVED] Upgrade i7 7700k to i9 9900k - waste of money? <<<Solved.>>>

May 3, 2020
i am kinda not sure if it is gonna be waste of money or i am gonna get around 50-60% CPU perfomance upgrade.

should i upgrade or i wont feel any change ?

i feel like GeForce GTX 1080 wont let me get much more perfomance in gaming with 9900k.
Upgrade from i7 7700k to i9900k
SSD Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD
video card: GeForce GTX 1080
resolution 2560x1080
16 GB RAMM

PS looks like i posted in wrong topic - sorry =) but i still need yr advice =)

Last edited:
Solution
i have
MSI MPG Z370 Gaming Plus
or maybe 270 - i should check.

are they not the same chipset?

7th Gen Core i7 like the 7700K you have, is not compatible with z370 or z390 chipsets which is required to upgrade to a 9th Gen Core i9 9900K**.

(z370 Motherboards require a BIOS update to support 9th Gen CPUs, z390 natively support 9th Gen)

7700K is only compatible with z170 or z270. So your motherboard would most likely have a z270 chipset.

Despite using the same 1151-pin socket, changes were made for 8th Gen and 9th Gen CPUs, which means that eventhough a 7700K CPU will physically fit in the socket on a z370 or z390 motherboard, the pin layout is different, so the CPU won’t work.

So as it has been mentioned...
i am kinda not sure if it is gonna be waste of money or i am gonna get around 50-60% CPU perfomance upgrade.

should i upgrade or i wont feel any change ?

i feel like GeForce GTX 1080 wont let me get much more perfomance in gaming with 9900k.
Upgrade from i7 7700k to i9900k
SSD Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD
video card: GeForce GTX 1080
resolution 2560x1080
16 GB RAMM

PS looks like i posted in wrong topic - sorry =) but i still need yr advice =)

You would need a new motherboard that supports overclocking (Z370 and Z390 Chipsets are the 9th gen supported chipset), and also its not worth the upgrade unless you are a heavy multitasking person that rely on computer performance, you better invest your money on upgrading your GPU since gaming is the one you aim for :D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://youtu.be/3rOVfeujof4

For a few fps difference, absolutely not worth it, especially with the leaked supposed prices of 10thGen Intel.

Honestly if you can physically see the difference in games, that's one thing, but when hitting fps over 100ish, you'd need some seriously beyond human eyesight to see any difference.

Mostly it's just a benchmark number or a number beyond the scope of the monitor refresh and therefore next to useless.

The only time an upgrade has any real value is when the current components fail to live upto your expectations, wants or needs. If fps is the issue, figure out if it's a cpu blockage or gpu blockage, the 1080 might struggle with some games at that resolution and have nothing to do with the cpu.

May 3, 2020
You do know - this will require a new motherboard also?

Just for gaming only - such upgrade doesn't make much sense. But if you have some other workload - like video editing, game streaming, then maybe.
i have
MSI MPG Z370 Gaming Plus

Last edited:
May 3, 2020
View: https://youtu.be/3rOVfeujof4

For a few fps difference, absolutely not worth it, especially with the leaked supposed prices of 10thGen Intel.

Honestly if you can physically see the difference in games, that's one thing, but when hitting fps over 100ish, you'd need some seriously beyond human eyesight to see any difference.

Mostly it's just a benchmark number or a number beyond the scope of the monitor refresh and therefore next to useless.

The only time an upgrade has any real value is when the current components fail to live upto your expectations, wants or needs. If fps is the issue, figure out if it's a cpu blockage or gpu blockage, the 1080 might struggle with some games at that resolution and have nothing to do with the cpu.
thx alot for nice answer . maybe i wait then.

i have
MSI MPG Z370 Gaming Plus

7th Gen Core i7 like the 7700K you have, is not compatible with z370 or z390 chipsets which is required to upgrade to a 9th Gen Core i9 9900K**.

(z370 Motherboards require a BIOS update to support 9th Gen CPUs, z390 natively support 9th Gen)

7700K is only compatible with z170 or z270. So your motherboard would most likely have a z270 chipset.

Despite using the same 1151-pin socket, changes were made for 8th Gen and 9th Gen CPUs, which means that eventhough a 7700K CPU will physically fit in the socket on a z370 or z390 motherboard, the pin layout is different, so the CPU won’t work.

So as it has been mentioned already, no matter if you are upgrading to a 9th Gen CPU like the 9900K or one of the new 10th Gen Intel CPUs, you would have to buy a new motherboard as well.

When it comes to price vs. performance, upgrading your 7700K to a 9900K isn’t really worth it in my opinion, since you’d need to buy both the CPU and a motherboard

- and if you want to upgrade to a new Intel CPU, it would make more sense to choose a 10th Gen CPU and motherboard as the upgrade path.

The 9th Gen motharboards don't have any planned future upgrade options as far as I know - so in a way, you could say that the platform is already "dead" with the arrival of the new LGA1200 socket and 10th Gen CPUs. So there's no reason to buy a new motherboard for that generation.

EDIT :
**Technically, a B365 chipset can also be used, but personally I would get a z-series motherboard, preferably a z390 chipset with decent VRM design specifically when it comes to the 9900K because of the high power draw, which can be a problem on some z370 series motherboards, depending on the quality of the board and its VRM design.

Last edited:
Solution
May 3, 2020

So as it has been mentioned already, no matter if you are upgrading to a 9th Gen CPU like the 9900K or one of the new 10th Gen Intel CPUs, you would have to buy a new motherboard as well.

When it comes to price vs. performance, upgrading your 7700K to a 9900K isn’t really worth it in my opinion, since you’d need to buy both the CPU and a motherboard

- and if you want to upgrade to a new Intel CPU, it would make more sense to choose a 10th Gen CPU and motherboard as the upgrade path.

The 9th Gen motharboards don't have any planned future upgrade options as far as I know - so in a way, you could say that the platform is already "dead" with the arrival of the new LGA1200 socket and 10th Gen CPUs. So there's no reason to buy a new motherboard for that generation.

EDIT :
**Technically, a B365 chipset can also be used, but personally I would get a z-series motherboard, preferably a z390 chipset with decent VRM design specifically when it comes to the 9900K because of the high power draw, which can be a problem on some z370 series motherboards, depending on the quality of the board and its VRM design.

Thx alot for info. i am totally sure now to wait for 10 series and upgrade then.
Thx everyone for your time and answers to my question.😊