Upgrade: i7 920 vs i5 7500

LigurGoods

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
Can maybe someone help me out.. I have a question.

At the moment I own a i7 920 (8 years old, " the i7's before i5's came out) on a Asus P6T SE board; it's overclock to 3.8ghz, 2.7ghz stock. Is it worth upgrading?

I don't feel like I should.. 3.8ghz is faster then a i5 6500 (3.6ghz boost) and If i get a better AIO (Corsair H60, single fan rad atm) I could try to get it to 4ghz.
I'm looking at a i5 6500 or 7500 because I only do light gaming a couple hours a week (ex. LoL, D3, Skyrim, Overwatch) and web surfing.

Right now I only own a GTX 1060 and I don't want to upgrade it. But, on the GPU note, I don't want to over upgrade my cpu vs my gpu, tho future proofing is a consideration.

Really, the only thing I'm missing out on not upgrading is having only 3g sata and no usb 3's..
Upgrading is 600 CA (done a shit ton of research and watching daily deals), plus I'm also a cheap ass.

Thanks, any help is welcome

ps. Newegg has the i5 6500 at 18% off

Solution
I would do the upgrade. The i7-920 is pretty dated by now and games that are CPU dependent like Skyrim and Overwatch will benefit with a more modern CPU. Overwatch does take advantage of Hyper Threading though.

You might just want to wait until AMD's Ryzen CPUs are released just to see if they offer a good price / performance ratio. I think they are coming out next month...
"...(i7-920)3.8ghz is faster then a i5 6500 (3.6ghz boost)..."

they might be somewhat equal in multithread but the i5 7500 is much much faster through 4 threads, by about 35-40%.

right now is a horrible time to be looking at buying a new cpu. wait for ryzen to release in the next week or so, check out the benchmarks, and see where cpu pricing goes. your i7 920 isn't really holding you back too much and an i5 7500 isn't a worthy upgrade. you should go for at least an unlocked quad core as a 6600k@4.5ghz is going to feel a lot faster than a locked 6500/7500.

I would do the upgrade. The i7-920 is pretty dated by now and games that are CPU dependent like Skyrim and Overwatch will benefit with a more modern CPU. Overwatch does take advantage of Hyper Threading though.

You might just want to wait until AMD's Ryzen CPUs are released just to see if they offer a good price / performance ratio. I think they are coming out next month...

Solution