[SOLVED] Upgrade lenovo ideacentre y700-34ish

Nov 23, 2019
I am considering upgrading my Lenovo Ideacentre Y700-34ISH but I don't know much about computers, so I'm hoping for some help on this forum.

I was thinking of upgrading my CPU to Ryzen 5 2600, but then I came to know that my motherboard only allows for Intel CPUs. So if I want to get the Ryzen 5 2600 I'd have to get a new motherboard. Is it possible to swap out the motherboard for one that allows AMD CPUs, if so, is it worth it?

(If you're wondering why I chose to look at Ryzen 5 2600: It was cheap and seemed to have good reviews on internet, it also looks like a overall better CPU than my current one??)

Please excuse me for being a little bit too clueless when it comes to upgrading a PC (in this case a prebuilt pc)!

(I have a Lenovo SKYBAY SDK0J40700 motherboard)
Here are my specs I took from systemrequirementslab

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Manufacturer
Intel
Speed
3.5 GHz
Number of Cores
CPU ID
BFEBFBFF000906E9
Family
Model
9E
Stepping
Revision

Memory
RAM
8.0 GB
Video Card
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Manufacturer

Chipset
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Dedicated Memory
6.0 GB
Total Memory
10 GB
Pixel Shader Version

Solution
Generally speaking you could.

Some things to consider though. Firstly, what is the purpose of the upgrade?

Secondly, be wary about the Windows licence. For a prebuilt PC the licence is technically tied with the motherboard and cannot be transferred to another. However, there is supposedly a way to avoid this issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Thirdly, it would be best to reinstall Windows to avoid possible performance issues.

And finally, it may depend whether the case can accept standard layout for the motherboards. So prebuilts use proprietary parts which may limit upgradeability.

Secondly, be wary about the Windows licence. For a prebuilt PC the licence is technically tied with the motherboard and cannot be transferred to another. However, there is supposedly a way to avoid this issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Thirdly, it would be best to reinstall Windows to avoid possible performance issues.

And finally, it may depend whether the case can accept standard layout for the motherboards. So prebuilts use proprietary parts which may limit upgradeability.

Solution
Nov 23, 2019

My main purpose of the upgrade would be the low fps I have on the CPU heavy games, in this case Monster hunter world, so I thought maybe my CPU isn't good enough to be paired with gtx 1060 6gb?

Anyways, I'm just lost trying to figure out the main reason for upgrading the PC, so maybe it isn't worth doing it after all...?o_O

Thanks for the heads up regarding Windows!