Upgrade Memory or Video Card

Mjl3434

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 and gave it an install, and things are running kind of slowly. I'd like some advice on an upgrade. Basically I want to be able to play NWN2 and Doom 3. Would I get more of a performance gain from adding 512MB/1GB of more memory or by upgrading my video card to something better?

Here's my setup:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (128 MB) Video Card
A 2.53 Ghz P4 without HyperThreading
Intel i850 chipset on a D850EMV2 Motherboard that takes RIMMS
512 MB of PC1066 RDRAM (2 x 256)

Also PC800 is much more affordable than PC1066, Intel says I need to get more PC1066 to go with what, I've got but other people say you can mix the 2. If its better to upgrade my ram, can I use PC800 and what will the performance difference be?

If your motherboard has a pci-e slot for the gfx card then definitely the gfx card .

if the card you have is AGP [ and it probably is ] then the best option is replace the computer .

Even the RAM [ memory ] you have is not used by any manufacturers any more so you cant just buy some 800 MHz DDR 2 and install it

The good news is that for around $500 you could replace mb/ cpu/ram and gfx card with something far far better

Mjl3434

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It has an AGP slot. I'm happy it made it this long and suspected it was at the end of its life. I bought it top-of-the-line in 2002, and it's been running strong for a good 7 years now. I'm sure you're right replacement is the most affordable thing to do.

For argument's sake though, suppose cost is no option but I only get to upgrade the memory OR the video card. Which would get me better gaming performance?

then the answer is gfx card , but once you have bought an expensive, out of date, AGP gfx card your system performance will still only be one notch above hopeless

MrMeth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Mjl3434 any money you put towards upgrading that system will go to waste , i know this may hurt but your system is kinda of outdated !! save your cash and upgrade and build yourself a sexy Rig , and keep your current one as a media or 2nd pc for the guest room . I use my athlon xp system from the same erea as a server .

Your system is just too old, spending any money on it will only give you a tiny, tiny performance boost. If you must, and I mean must, get a better graphic card.
However, it really is a waste of money in my opinion. The system is just too old, and too far behind the curve to ever do anything with, no matter how much you spent! You could spend $400 and put the best of everthing into it, and a new $300 Phenom 2 build would simply blow it completely away, like 20 times the performance, really.

Mjl3434

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Great thanks for the input. I think I'm still gonna cruise e-bay for some cheap PC1066 RIMMs though, if I can get 512MB for $50-$75 on an auction then it will probably be worth it to me.

As is programmers now days love using .net and java which leads to massive memory footprints. But with people buying 4GB of memory these days, I just sound like a crazy person when I say that virtual machines are wasteful and encourage bad habits and poor code.

bmuell

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

You do realize that $50 these days will get you 4gb of DDR2? You're throwing money away by upgrading that P4. Just save up $300 for a new system and you'll be in business.

True.