Question upgrade/monitor issues

May 28, 2019
okay so i guess this is kind of a multicatigoried question. i’m very new to PC building, like i’ve only upgraded monitors, power supplies, windows versions, and graphics cards.
right now i’m trying to upgrade my roommates computer, her specs are as follows:
-8G RAM
-550 watt power supply
-Intel core i3 processor
- integrated graphics card (no idea what kind)
i’m trying to upgrade her graphics card using my old one, it’s a 650 ti but the vga port is damaged and can’t be used. when i had it in my computer all i did was get an HDMI cord and that made it work just fine. the issue i’m having with hers is that she previously had a VGA that plugged her monitor into her integrated graphics card. i changed it to an HDMI cable and plugged that into her graphics card so i could start installing the drivers for it and it keeps saying “VGA no signal”
i tried unplugging it and tried plugging in the one that’s in my computer to see if the cable was messed up, same issue. tried plugging the VGA cable into the integrated card, same issue. i just upgraded her power supply earlier today and it was working fine afterwards so when i turned it off to get her graphics card set up and got everything plugged in i started having these problems :-(

In what way did you change the cable to an HDMI cable?
And how are you connecting the PC to the monitor with this HDMI cable? Obviously there would be no VGA signal, so it feels like something is missing here.

Consider checking if anything came loose during the upgrading of other parts. Perhaps try and get back to the original state to see if things are working; then try again.