[SOLVED] upgrade monitor or gpu first

Hello guys i was wondering if i should upgrade my monitor first or gpu since i use a 60hz ips monitor and also a gtx 1050ti by asus. Was wanting to buy ACER PREDATOR XB252Q 24.5" GAMING MONITOR (240HZ, G-SYNC). To mentioned that i am only interested in playing in 1080p resolution and i play online game such Csgo, Fortnite, Apex Legends and on a rare occasion Dota 2. I feel like upgrading monitor first since its expensive and would not need to be upgraded any more. For gpu, feel like upgrading to rtx 2070 by galax triple fan. ive heard several comments that 240 hz would fail to do so with my cpu. And can a 240hz do a 120 fps

Here are my pc Spec:

Processor: Intel Core i5 Kabylake 7500 (3.4 Ghz)
Mobo: Asus Strix Z270E Gaming

GPU: Asus GTX 1050 ti 4gb
PSU: Cooler Master 750 Watt Semi-modular Bronze
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR4 16gb 3200mhz
SSD: Pioneer 120GB M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Cooling System: ID-Cooling Auraflow 240 RGB
Case: Nzxt S340 Elite
Others: Nzxt Hue+ + 2 AER 120

Solution
The CPU is not really the issue on that point, its the GPU.

The GPU can run on a 240Hz monitor, but unless you're only using low graphic games, there's not going to be many applications where the 1050ti will be able to achieve those framerates.

A 240Hz can do anything UP to 240 FPS (in effect) - but from someone who uses 144Hz - I would also why you would NEED 240Hz over 144Hz unless you're incredibly serious about gaming (i.e. professional).

Overall - go GPU first. Monitor after, but consider a 144Hz too - it's not for me to judge obviously, but you may not need any more than 144Hz.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The CPU is not really the issue on that point, its the GPU.

The GPU can run on a 240Hz monitor, but unless you're only using low graphic games, there's not going to be many applications where the 1050ti will be able to achieve those framerates.

A 240Hz can do anything UP to 240 FPS (in effect) - but from someone who uses 144Hz - I would also why you would NEED 240Hz over 144Hz unless you're incredibly serious about gaming (i.e. professional).

Overall - go GPU first. Monitor after, but consider a 144Hz too - it's not for me to judge obviously, but you may not need any more than 144Hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm going to second that - pretty sure that 144Hz is already beyond the maximum of human eyesight capability. Between seeing it, mentally responding to what you see, and physically responding to what you see - I wouldn't recommend paying extra for anything above 144.

I would kind of have to agree that a $500 240Hz screen might be overkill, especially when paired with a 1050 Ti. You would likely be better off spending half as much for a 144-165Hz screen, and picking up a graphics card upgrade at the same time. Even something like a 1660 would offer double the graphics performance of a 1050 Ti (at least when not limited by CPU performance).

Glad you've got it sorted and hopefully you're comfortable now! (Personally I'd go with the 2070 over the 1660)

Just remember to select a best answer of your choice so others can see the solution sir. Happy gaming!
gladful to buy this monitor as it is g-sync compatible as of nvidias approval to the adaptive sync compatibility!
to be honest my main reason considering the predator monitor was because of gsync. Now that this monitor also support gsync i feel very happy with this purchase.

Regarding gpu i may need to take several factor into consideration especially price . Was wanting to buy the rog strix 1660 ti with 3 fan around RM 1500 (366.63$) (high end) and could only afford a Galax triple fan rtx 2070 that would cost around RM 2250 (550.39$) (not so high end model)

Honestly, I'd buy the monitor first. There are other advantages to a high quality display than just refresh rate. You'll have sharper images, more vibrant colors, better contrast ratios. A lot of people are fine with just using a potato monitor, but it is the only part of your computer that you use all the time and the main interface. Having a nice monitor, even if you can't drive all the features yet, is a great upgrade in quality of use. I recently upgraded my monitor to one that has better color accuracy and a 120hz refresh rate (still 1080p), and honestly the accuracy and vibrancy of the colors on the new monitor are what I notice most, and I have a GTX 1060 6GB which can drive it to its capability. Now when I sit down at a computer with a lesser monitor I really notice it, and it makes me appreciate my display even more.

Edit: Oh, you got the monitor already... nevermind then.

I'm not sure I'd go with the 2070 though. Your CPU might not be enough to get the most out of it in some games. It would be good gaming experience, but I know for me that leaving performance on the table is not something I'm fond of. I tend to build my computers with a good balance between components so I don't feel like I'm not getting the most out of my hardware. Something like an RTX 2060 might make more sense from a balanced build point of view.