[SOLVED] Upgrade motherboard for DDR4 or upgrade entire PC?

peterk426

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Intel Processor: i7-2600k CPU @3.40 GHz LG1155
Motherboard: Asus PZ68 Delux Gen-3
installed RAM 12/16 DDR3
Windows 64
Nvidia Geforce 970X
Corsair 570x Case
6x Corsair CO-9050067-WW HD Series HD120 RBG LED 120MM High Performance RGB LED PWM
Heatsink Noctua NH-D9L Premium CPU cooler with NF-A9 92 MM fan (brown)
Asus VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144hz 1ms HDMI Gaming monitor

total of 8 fans with the heatink and the 6x corsair RBG fans, The motherboard does not have enough spots to fit them all, So I got splitters.

My PC has randomly been shutting down on me. The first time I took it to a pc repair guy near me, Turns out one of the RAM cards was bad. I order more, all is good.

Few weeks after that my PC won't turn on at all. I bring it back to the repairman, this time its my graphics card, he has to reinstall the drivers but luckily my hard drive didn't need to be wiped.

A few days ago one of the new Ram cards was bad. I'm suspecting its the 3rd slot on the motherboard Ram slots.

So my question is, I want to buy a new motherboard that can run DDR4 but keep my graphics card and processor,and be able to run 8 fans. Would this be possible? I know the processor is a bit old I bought it in 2012 i'm currently using my pc to play games and make music using Ableton live 10. I feel the DDR3 RAM isn't keeping up with Windows 10 Ram needs. I even close my browser now if im not using it. Any tips would be appreciated!

Solution
No motherboard which supports a 2600K will have DDR4 memory support. DDR3 is perfectly competent at keeping up with windows 10. You can check whether a ram slot on the motherboard is actually dead by using different slots and running memtest86. At this point though, you may want to consider a complete rebuild. That hardware is getting really old.
No motherboard which supports a 2600K will have DDR4 memory support. DDR3 is perfectly competent at keeping up with windows 10. You can check whether a ram slot on the motherboard is actually dead by using different slots and running memtest86. At this point though, you may want to consider a complete rebuild. That hardware is getting really old.

Solution

peterk426

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
im not entirely sure if the ram slot is dead/bad, but when the ram card was in the pc would shut off after awhile randomly, and now that its out, the pc doesnt randomly shut down, but now i cant run starcraft 2 and i get a error "Out of memory" Which is crazy. I open up task manager only to see Windows is eating up 7 gigs and im left with barely 2 gigs now idk why windows is using so much

im not entirely sure if the ram slot is dead/bad, but when the ram card was in the pc would shut off after awhile randomly, and now that its out, the pc doesnt randomly shut down, but now i cant run starcraft 2 and i get a error "Out of memory" Which is crazy. I open up task manager only to see Windows is eating up 7 gigs and im left with barely 2 gigs now idk why windows is using so much
Are you sure it's windows taking up the 7GB and not some PUPs, malware, or AV? Windows alone almost never takes up a full 7GB of memory.