Question Upgrade motherboard, would my old corsair H110i GT cooler fit LGA1700?

AleksanderTG

Prominent
Aug 21, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am about to upgrade my PC as I have had an issue with my PC turning on or even POSTing after doing everything that I could and searching endlessly on the forums here and in other places. I even bought a new PSU (850W) to test whether this piece was broken, which happened not to be the case. So I have decided to just upgrade my setup instead of buying old parts to see which one is actually FUBAR (I suspect it is either the motherboard or CPU that has been fried)

My setup was old and only supported LGA1150 processor. For details see my current setup below.

Anyway, I am looking to upgrade my setup with

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS PRO Motherboard - Intel Z690 - Intel LGA1700 socket - DDR5 RAM - ATX
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 16GB kit 4800MHz CL38 On-die ECC
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K CPU
Already bought a new PSU: Corsair RM850 850W PSU (Black)

I am looking at the GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS PRO Motherboard where I have an existing cooler H110i GT hydro series and I was wondering if I would be able to install that on an LGA1700 socket with intel i7 12700K processor? I have read that a retrokit can be bought for a line of corsair coolers, but I was unable to find my specific cooler, would that mean my cooler also requires an upgrade?

My old/current setup (Build in 2015):

Motherboard:
MSI Z97-G43, Socket-1150
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black
PSU: Cooler Master G750M, 750W PSU
Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Hydro Series CPU Cooler
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Tiger OC
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K, Socket-LGA1150

Last edited:

AleksanderTG

Prominent
Aug 21, 2020
I would recommend you update your cooler if upgrading to a new modern CPU. Your old AIO could fail and take some expensive components with it. Just a suggestion.

Okay, dang it, I thought the cooler could survive a bit longer, but I can see your point, it is not worth the risk.

I have looked at some coolers already
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
NZXT Kraken X53 Black
NZXT Kraken X63 Black

What cooler would you suggest to be the perfect fit for i7 12900k it can also be one other than the mentioned ones ? :)

Thank you for the reply

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're not missing much between them. It inevitably comes down to:
-aesthetics.
-whether or not you'd rather deal with mandatory software(NZXT CAM and Corsair iCUE), of which can be a love/hate relationship.

Performance is up in the air, because:
-hardly anyone runs fans at 100%(becomes too audible). It'd be easier to determine a 'winner' if utilizing 100% curves were the norm. Folks are going to run fans to their personal comfort zones.
-below 100%, fan performance isn't linear. Some perform better/worse than others at X rpm... so for someone to test all that, would take A LOT of time. No one has tried that, by the way.

All that said, I prefer 140mm class coolers.

What will that 12900K be used for?

AleksanderTG

Prominent
Aug 21, 2020
You're not missing much between them. It inevitably comes down to:
-aesthetics.
-whether or not you'd rather deal with mandatory software(NZXT CAM and Corsair iCUE), of which can be a love/hate relationship.

Performance is up in the air, because:
-hardly anyone runs fans at 100%(becomes too audible). It'd be easier to determine a 'winner' if utilizing 100% curves were the norm. Folks are going to run fans to their personal comfort zones.
-below 100%, fan performance isn't linear. Some perform better/worse than others at X rpm... so for someone to test all that, would take A LOT of time. No one has tried that, by the way.

All that said, I prefer 140mm class coolers.

What will that 12900K be used for?

Thank you for the reply.
I will mostly use this setup for gaming and software development. I thought of going to i9 12900k but I think that would be overkill as I don't use graphic-intensive programs like photoshop or programs that require 3d rendering, so i7 12700k is a great fit in my opinion. I could go with i5 12600k but I think that will be somewhat a "constrain" further in the future, as I have experienced with my current i5.

Last edited: