Upgrade MSI GT70 motherboard

rbjduran

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
my board has intel hd 4000 no mini display. Can i upgrade to better motherboard with better intel and mini display ?

Solution
Laptops are very hard to upgrade compared to desktops. If you want to upgrade, most of the time you can only upgrade using parts that were available for that particular system. A different motherboard may or may not fit in the laptop's shell, especially if the external ports are different.

However, the Intel graphics chip is built into the processor, so that could be an easier upgrade than the motherboard.

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
Laptops are very hard to upgrade compared to desktops. If you want to upgrade, most of the time you can only upgrade using parts that were available for that particular system. A different motherboard may or may not fit in the laptop's shell, especially if the external ports are different.

However, the Intel graphics chip is built into the processor, so that could be an easier upgrade than the motherboard.

Casey

Solution

rbjduran

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Thanks Casey i will look into upgrading cpu ... but i want mini display output which is attached to motherboard is it ?

rbjduran

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Hi, it has VGA, ESATA, HDMI, in that order...... looks like the gtx780m had mini display instead of ESATA.. are those output tied to motherborad ?
I m still looking.... i want to use my 30 inch apple at 2560 x1600
Thanks again

cklaubur

Distinguished
ESATA (External Serial ATA) isn't a video connection. It is for connecting external hard drives.

There are Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters available. That could be an easier option than surgery on your laptop. HDMI 1.3 and beyond can handle your Apple's resolution.

Casey

rbjduran

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Hi Casey, I tried the HDMI to DVI adapter and I get 1280 x 800 as highest resolution... on the apple 30 inch... just burns me lol.. it has Intel HD 4000 & NVIDIA GTX 675MX 4gb DDR5 and HDMI 1.4 apparently...
My HDMI to DVI adapter is 3 years old... Wonder if I get a new one may be ?

cklaubur

Distinguished
Sounds like a cheap adapter. Even single-link DVI should handle at least 1920x1080. Dual-link DVI can handle 2560x1600.

What's the specific model of the display? I'm just trying to figure out what ports could be in common with your laptop and the display.

Casey

rbjduran

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

its a MSI GT70 0ND-491US monitor 17.3 at 1920x1080... looks like you were right the new 1.3b HDMI with 29 pins will handle 2560 x 1600... So gonna run out and get one lol... and a beer since I avoided the surgery on the laptop.... Thanks so much for taking me in the right direction... I was disappointed with the laptop... Feel good now Thanks Again...