upgrade my computer for studying redering 3d

Nov 5, 2018
i'm going to study rendering 3d, I don't have much money, i'm having a computer with cpu core 2 duo e8400. Should I add a graphics card and what graphics card i should choose??

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
List your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Then state the apps you're thinking of taxing the system with. Then state how much you can shell out in terms of an upgrade. Where you're located and a preferred site for purchase will help us as well.

Nov 5, 2018

cpu intel core 2 duo e 8400 3 ghz integrated gpu
ram 4 gb
hdd 300gb
pci express x16
win 10 64 bit
i'll choose suitable graphics card first, then i will upgrade psu if neccessary

You need to anser the second part of the question before we can help you decide ANYTHING. We need to know what you are going to do, what programs you are going to use,... before we can even begin recommending anything.

Nov 5, 2018

studying render 3d
autocad
solidwork
catia
these are all things i'm going to study

It's new system time. Nothing you do with your current one will be enough.

Nov 5, 2018

your meaning: "you should buy a new computer"??? Is that right

Yes. What you have now is a mid range system from 2008. Even with an rtx2080ti in there the cpu would be running maxed out just opening the program let alone running it.

Nov 5, 2018

i want to upgrade for studying better . After graduating, i will buy new computer

What's your budget? There is nothing you can upgrade to really help you.

Nov 5, 2018

less than 150$

Best you can do is get a used intel core second gen system or up and that will be a massive upgrade over what you have now for that budget.

With your current system lets say for example you were to render a really really simple water simulation of a couple drops falling onto a flat surface. That would take days if not longer to render. You can throw that 200$ at it but it won't improve much and you'll have a system that is taking days to render things that are really just simple scenes.

Even just working in the editor will just be a stuttery mess of non stop loading. Your system has had it's run. It's time for a FULL upgrade.

Nov 5, 2018

can you offer a built computer with suitable price. for rendering (less than 650$)
and with my current computer, can i use autocad???

Your integrated gpu does not support the needed instructions to launch any of those programs in their fully functional state. Autocad will most likely revert to software rendering which will be extremely slow. I assume this is in USD?

artk2219

Distinguished

We could also give you a parts list that you could buy over time, are you in the United States? If not where, that way we can try and source local parts for you.

Nov 5, 2018

sorry, i live in Viet Nam.

artk2219

Distinguished

That does make it harder to find parts doesn't it? Well like everyone said before, you really need a new machine in order to really get any work done, are there any reasonably priced first or second gen core i7 or xeon cpu's that you could find? What about AM3+ boards with an AMD FX 8 core or at least a phenom II x6? You could also technically see if your motherboard will let you upgrade it to a core 2 quad, but that will still be very slow, and probably the least desirable option, but it would be cheap at least. As for a video card, these all say at least a maxwell based GPU with a minimum of 2gb of ram. So Maybe a GTX 780 or newer, even though a core 2 quad would definitely bottle neck that card, or more reasonably, a gtx 950 and above with 2gb of ram or the equivalent Quadro card. Finally you need at a minimum 8gb of ram, preferably at least 16gb, and an SSD would help out quite a bit as well. So a decent build would look something like whats listed below.

CPU: LGA 1366 6 core Xeon, LGA 1155 Core i7 2600 or 3770, AM3+ FX 8300+ or Phenom II x6 1055+, LGA 775 Core 2 quad Q9400+
Ram: 8GB Minimum, 16gb+ Preferred
GPU: Minimum GTX 950 2GB, preferably GTX 780, or if you can find it, a GTX 970 or better or equivalent Quadro.
Storage: 240 GB+ SSD for OS and main applications
1tb+ HDD for mass storage
PSU: 650W or there abouts

Solution

This would be a rare case where an old amd chip might actually make sense since nobody wants them and they end up decently cheap and aren't too bad for rendering pruposes. Still an intel equivilant would be preferred like an I7.

A common used workstation is the dell T3500 which can house upt to a 6 core lga 1366 xeon and would be pretty good since those are really cheap.

TRENDING THREADS