Upgrade My Current Build (i5-4670K) or Start a New Build (AMD FX-8370)?

A Quincy Joker

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Hello everyone. I have been researching extensively on upgrade paths, weighing the pros and cons of Intel and AMD, but I cannot make up my mind on what would benefit me the greatest in terms of either future proofing or gaming potential.

I thought it would be good to update my current build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FR2WXH by either adding another graphics card for SLI or simply selling it and getting something better. I've had no issues running anything, but I really have just been itching on getting my hands working on my computer. My CPU is OCed to 4.2GHz and my GPU is OCed to 1132 MHz (up from 1072 MHz).

I tend to play shooters (CS, CoD, Etc), RPG (Dark Souls 1-3, Skyrim) and most of the Triple A games. I just want to make sure my computer can handle any new titles or recent titles such as GTA V and so forth. I've been looking at multiple games thanks to the Summer Steam Sales.

I'm really just a computer enthusiast that loves his machines and working with his tools because it feels satisfying.

This is a new build I concocted based on staying under a $1000 budget. I'm trying to get as much power/value as I can for my money. I want to feel proud of it. The last build was suggested to me and this new one is something I want, that I picked out. If it works as a feasible upgrade let me know. If I should change a few things let me know. I can take parts from my old build into a new build for cost efficiency if necessary. I really like my SSD. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wTR8KZ

I am aware the cheapest route is probably upgrading my computer. I really don't like my Corsair 500R Case because it feels tacky now. It wasn't my personal taste/choice when I built it. I was merely a non-tech savvy person back then versus now that I have more knowledge about systems. If I can I'd like to sell off my old system and build my new one. I want to give AMD a try.

On a final note, I have a question regarding my operating system. I own a Windows 7 Pro SP1 OEM OS that recently upgraded to Windows 10 (which I am now fond of) and was wondering if I could have that license transferred to my new MOBO using my USB Flash Drive that Holds the Windows 10 Pro OS. Would I have to call Microsoft and ask them that I have switched motherboards and would like that to be the new system? Or would I be screwed and end up having to buy a new OEM disc?

Thank you for your time everyone. I love this forum and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Solution

Ah the eternal problem of having built well and then finding it's the building that you've really become interested in. That's okay, everyone needs a hobby. The problem is that you won't find a huge jump, which in my mind is what is necessary to justify changing out hardware, even by moving up to a 4790K. Not for your gaming. A better graphics card than your 760 seems an easy sure route to go especially with the new 1070's coming out, 970's are on offer everywhere as retailers and owners try to...
first things first. your new build (aside from the GPU) will be less powerful than your current one. Your I5 4670k is an awesome chip and will provide all the CPU grunt you need for another 2-3 years. It will drive any high end GPU, and most SLI configs too.

Being honest (and this isn't about flaming here) AMD systems lag far behind intel. If you want to have the best or close to it, gaming machine, there is only one solution, Intel. Id recommend sticking with what you have, add in a GTX1070, maybe some additional ram, and your good to go for another while yet.

asides from that, with regard to the aesthetics of your system, thats really your choice.

regarding the transfer of the Windows Licence, maybe someone else can give you the answer to that. I've not had to do it, so can't advise.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your CPU is only 2 years old at most, I doubt you see much improvement upgrading CPU now. You could upgrade current and get a different case and GPU if that is part you hate most, its much cheaper than buying all new

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
got find a decent video card is best advise your set up as it will eat any amd around even any new chips the skylake chip & motherboards are the best advancement in technology ever released i stick with i5s for gaming as they are a solid chip & all games being released of date ur paying for the name in i7s tho a decent i5 will preform as good or beter as for favorites tho i3 & i5s tho go buy a 1080gtx ti oc version & u bee good to go for many more years

case swap and GPU update and you're done, there is nowhere else to go.

The newer intel CPUs are not that much better, maybe 5-10% where you are wholly CPU bound, the AMD CPU's are pointless.

Zen might change the AMD position, but we won't know for months.

frapport

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015

Ah the eternal problem of having built well and then finding it's the building that you've really become interested in. That's okay, everyone needs a hobby. The problem is that you won't find a huge jump, which in my mind is what is necessary to justify changing out hardware, even by moving up to a 4790K. Not for your gaming. A better graphics card than your 760 seems an easy sure route to go especially with the new 1070's coming out, 970's are on offer everywhere as retailers and owners try to clear out their's. A good 970 purchase now or even an SLI pair from someone bent on having the best numbers and more cash than sense would be an excellent upgrade.

One of the other upgrade paths that people sometimes forget are qualitative things like your monitor. Monitors last a long time and my big treat was a 30" Dell. I'm not a gamer except for a little StarCraft but maybe it's time to get some
1440 going. My son guided the family towards a set of Razor headphones for my birthday and it changed my world from youtube videos to movie soundtracks. How about your keyboard? These are all things that are often secondary to build of a new machine when you are trying for the most bang for the buck.

As for the rest, well it's time to save up again for the next generation after skylake when VM systems hit their stride. When there are screens that are 120Hz /144Hz that are affordable.

A good case is also appropriate so that it can accommodate your future mods and builds. I got a Thermaltake Core V71 and while there are arguably better cases out there it was available, on sale and will accommodate anything I want to do.

My advice, improve the experience and save up for hardware that will give you a real bump in another generation or two.

Solution

A Quincy Joker

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
You have all been very helpful in helping me choose what would be the most optimal for my situation. Yes, you are right that even though there are fancy new hardware upgrades available (probably won't be able to make much use of) they are also almost out of reach at this point. I think I may just swap out either my GPU or run it in SLI with another EVGA GTX 760 or pick up a GTX 970 perhaps. I have been looking up benchmarks lately and noticed that the GTX 760 and GTX 960 are similar. I am beginning to think they are the same card just updated hardware/software to go with it.

My current chip appears to be great for what I have right now and I think I will stick to it. I think the alure of AMD for me was the building I get to do and the color scheme of the brand.

As for the case I think I'll just change that. I believe I have a preference of Black/Red with a windowed side panel.

It is so confusing trying to decide what to do when all you see on brands are a bunch of numbers and fanciful names, but benchmarks are showing similar or greater performance than their predecessors.

Alas, the crux is that yes, I have fallen in love with my hobby of computer building. It would seem that I would benefit from a job (possibly a computer shop) that allows me to follow my hobby to the end. I am about one-third into my Network and System Administration degree that places me as close as I can think of right now to what I want to do. Although it isn't being able to be someone like Linus or Carey Holzman currently, I will at least have my foot in the door.

I am glad to know the person that recommended me this build had my best interests in mind because I really have no reason to upgrade at this point unless I want to be top of the line 4k+ gaming. I am not quite sure what games would be able to run at 4k or if I am really adamant to. It does look and sound appealing, but I think I'll wait for price drops.

Thank you again for your time. Have a good 4th if you're in the U.S. or have a great weekend everyone. Feel free to leave some GPU Configurations both Hardware wise and Overclocking wise.

Colif

Win 11 Master
4k is better off waiting for.

I didn't have a choice last year, was given a 4k monitor and had to get a card that could literally run the desktop fast enough - a GTX 960 was what I had before that and it couldn't even manage 30 fps on hdmi just running the desktop so monitor kept turning itself off. If I didn't get that screen I was not even looking at 4k. The card I have now was best I could afford and its not really capable of 4k gaming without turning effects down. I sort of wish I had my old monitor still as a 980 is OP for it. I sit on the crossroads.

Anyway, if you want affordable 4k I would wait a few more years and I expect all cards will be able to run the screens.

I knew what case I want years before i could afford a PC to put in it :)

A Quincy Joker

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013

Whoa, I'm glad you told me about that 4k Monitor. I almost went and did myself a disservice if I hadn't read that just now. I thought there was a reason behind the Expensive Cards being paired with 4k screens. It makes sense now. Makes me wonder if 4k TVs are running some kind of internal graphics card.

At least you were given a 4k :) kind of hard to come by one of those unless they're on sale. Even then I dislike the Input Latency. 5 ms - 10 ms gives me figurative AIDS (bad for fps shooters). I'd try running your card in SLI and see if that fixes your problem. Perhaps 780 TI (just saw it in a Linus video).

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't afford another card, they not so cheap here. My case probably couldn't take two, I will live with what I have. I have been too busy to play many games this year. I think latency on my screen is 2ms, I would have to look it up. I don't play shooters anyway so its not a big thing.

I don't want to scare you off, I know the new cards can run 4k if you buy the top end ones, cards when I upgraded could too but I couldn't afford anything more than a 980. This generation there are more, not sure about 1070 as I haven't looked at them at all, I know the 1060 is meant to be more powerful than a 970.

4k is great for desktop use, i wouldn't really go back to 1080, i can have two browsers open on screen and not feel squashed. Its good for Word as I can see 3 documents across screen at one time. Buying a 980 just to use my desktop was something I had to do.