Upgrade my current rig or start fresh?

ButteryMilk

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hello all,

With the announcement of the nvidia pascal lineup, its got me thinking whether or not to upgrade or start fresh. My gtx 760 is certainly starting to show its age and i will be most likely getting a gtx 1070. my question is should i save up and buy a new system? or is my current pc still good enough?

My specs are as follows:

Gigabye h87-hd3 motherboard
i5 4430 3.0ghz
16gb crucial ballistix sport ram
EVGA gtx 760 sc 2gb
512gb sandisk ssd
1tb seagate hdd
corsair gs600w psu

Thanks

ButteryMilk

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Awesome. If i wanted to upgrade my cpu, is it worth perhaps getting a haswell i7, or will the haswell lineup be too out of date by then? i understand there is only a 20%ish performance gain as each generation rolls out. thanks for the quick reply by the way

Currently for gaming there is very few games that will play better with an i7 over i5 because they are not coded to use more then 4 cores/threads.

If this is just for gaming and not video editing/rendering, 3d modeling or other cpu intensive task then a CPU upgrade is just not worth it at all.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As SR has covered, the 1070 will be a great upgrade.

It certainly never hurts to be saving for your next upgrade - but if I were you, I'd look to Cannonlake at the earliest as your next upgrade, still ~12 months away.

I wouldn't look to upgrade within Haswell, an i7 or otherwise. Nor would I see the timeframe for Skylake/Kaby Lake making too much sense for you either.

Unless anything drastic changes in requirements for titles in the meantime - which is unlikely. A second gen i5's from 2011 are still competent in gaming 5 years later. By the same logic, a 4430 should be capable for some time yet.

Save some cash, and make the leap forward to either Cannonlake in 2017, or even potentially the release beyond that in 2018 (Icelake?).

TRENDING THREADS