Upgrade my FX8320 ... Intel or AMD?

IsraelHP

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2015
Hello!!!

I would like to upgrade my current CPU. I have this FX 8320 at 4.2 pair with a GTX 1070 but at this moment I am not sure which processor could be fine for me. I have 5 years with the same processor and I would like to keep my new CPU for the same number of years.

I have this options:

R5 1600
i7 7700
R7 1700 (too expensive I guess)

Would I get a considerable change with the R5 or only with R7 and i7? I like strategy games, like Total War series ... my current system gets 20 FPS on intensive battles or 45-50 fps with less units.

Please help :(

Solution
Look up benchmarks/reviews. The Ryzen cpu's have good multithreading, which stands out in regards to productivity and multitasking, especially with streaming, video editing, transcoding, rendering, et cetra. Intel cpu's really stand out in regards to single threads, especially gaming. Between the i7-7700k versus the r5 1600x or r7 1700, you have to ask yourself if you are interested in productivity or solely gaming. If solely gaming, the i7 7700k outperforms ryzen in general. Also, most games don't utilize more than 4 cores, so the extra cores with Ryzen don't necessariliy benefit gaming performance.

AMD's always tries to pose a better value alternative to nVidia and intel. Some people make purchases due to brand loyalty, while others...

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
5 years is long term, get a Ryzen 7 1700

Passmark Single thread
i7 7700: 2336
R7 1700: 1751/1956 (OC 3.6GHz)

Passmark Multi thread
R7 1700: 13805/15367 (OC 3.6GHz)
i7 7700: 10858

3.6 OC is mediocre, and see how much MT you get for a small ST deficit. Intel CPUs cannot be OCed unless its Z270+K

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Look up benchmarks/reviews. The Ryzen cpu's have good multithreading, which stands out in regards to productivity and multitasking, especially with streaming, video editing, transcoding, rendering, et cetra. Intel cpu's really stand out in regards to single threads, especially gaming. Between the i7-7700k versus the r5 1600x or r7 1700, you have to ask yourself if you are interested in productivity or solely gaming. If solely gaming, the i7 7700k outperforms ryzen in general. Also, most games don't utilize more than 4 cores, so the extra cores with Ryzen don't necessariliy benefit gaming performance.

AMD's always tries to pose a better value alternative to nVidia and intel. Some people make purchases due to brand loyalty, while others see benefits in cost-to-performance as well as a good return-on-investment. Just do your research. Let us know if you plan to produce content or plan on utilizing any software acceleration. That's where Ryzen shines - at such applications including raw / synthetic tests, especially cinebench. Ryzen's drawback points at overclocking and games are generally not optimized for 4+ cores.

Personally, AMD maintains its motherboard chipset for a number of years for longevity in regards to its AM4 platform. Intel tends to always change its LGA socket every 1-2 or 3 generations.

all in all, you have to consider the rx 1600x for its value or the i7-7700k for its popularity/reputation, premium price and high end gaming performance. Both are versatile, but you have to decide if you want faster multithreading with 6 cores 12 threads by AMD OR faster single threading with 4 cores 8 threads by Intel.

Solution

Solace Kane

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Im in a similar boat to the original poster wanting to upgrade my 8320. I currently have the radeon rx480 8GB for gpu. Im on the fence because I do multitask alot , by that i mean i have two monitors. one i game on and the other i usually have chrome open with 8 tabs and video playing or an android emulator on the second screen with torrents or other downloads/uploads going. Should I go AMD ryzen or intel in my case?