dane00a

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
What's up internet,

So four/five years ago I built a PC with the following specs:

EATX ASUS motherboard (I'll have to check the exact model when I get home, not sure if it's necessary for this question though)
Intel i7-4960X
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Titan (original one)

As the years have rolled by, the PC is beginning to show its age a tad, and I am trying to figure out if I should upgrade to breathe a little more life into it. I use this PC for gaming and engineering software (which, while I know Quadro GPUs are best for that, I only engineer here as a secondary work-from-home PC). Since the recent advent of the RTX2070 Super, I've been considering swapping the Titan out for this card, primarily for performance increases, particularly in VR, since I'm considering buying an Oculus Rift S.

Since 16 GB of RAM is still sufficient, the CPU seems sufficiently meaty despite its age, and that a lot of games are more GPU-dependent these days, I'm considering doing the upgrade. What I'd like to know from you guys is if the assumptions I've made in the previous sentence seem well-reasoned, and if so, would upgrading to an RTX2070 be worth it at this point, or should I hold out for the next generation of GPUs and get a little more out of the Titan? Or, perhaps if neither option is particularly great, would it be better to build a new PC from the ground up?

Thanks in advance for any input guys, much appreciated.