Upgrade my graphics card

PapaMike44

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I have a dell XPS 420 and want to upgrade my graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT to play higher end games, but I do not want to change out my power supply what do you sugest?

Solution
If those are pushing it then so is the 9600GT. Like I said the HD4770 and the HD5750 use the same amount of power(or less.)
Dell uses quality PSUs and grades them oddly.

beardcombover

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Honestly, the PSU isn't much of a pain to upgrade, it would expand your options to truly capture what you are looking for, otherwise you will have boundaries. There's an eco 9800gt out there within your requirements, but to give you a justafiable upgrade, look into gts250/radeon 4850 territory, which would represent a class up of what you have, rather than a lateral with this or that advantage.

PapaMike44

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I would think there has to be a better card out there for my machine without upgrading the PSU? Maybe I should check with Dell, but seriously I trust you guys a lot more than those India support techs.....

You are forgetting that he has a Dell.
His current PSU is fine for the cards I listed and they are all nice upgraded.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Upgrading a PSU is indeed not a hard thing to do however depending on how much the PapaMike44 wants to spend on a graphics card, having to upgrade the PSU will make his price/performance ratio go through the floor.

beardcombover

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

That's kinda pushing that PSU, it's not great having your pc shut down on you during the action.

beardcombover

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

But it also gives you another piece to sell....dun dun dunnnnn. I agree with you though, but I think given the confines of that psu, a visible and functional upgrade may be justified. Otherwise it might just be money wasted.

I got a "site is unavailable" when clicking to post a few times earlier today. At least that's better than the "everything under the banner ad never shows up" error I've gotten before. That one happened frequently for a while and could last up to a day.
Had to switch to IE to get around it which I hate.

PapaMike44

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I want to thank everyone for all your help and I found a HD 5750 and jvjjv the Dell PSU are very good and are actually a lot higher than they list so if you think it will give me a much better gaming experience and an overall better graphics card then my GeForce 9600GT then I will buy the HD 5750 and stay with my PSU