Upgrade my MB and CPU or update my HDDs and Case (Budget of $180)...

Drannon86

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Hey there everyone, I'm in need of some advice. I currently have $180 USD to upgrade my gaming computer. Here's my current specs.

- Rosewill Stallion 550W Bronze Certified Semi-Modular PSU.
- GA-F2A88X-D3HP Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard.
- A10-7870K APU w/ Stock Fan.
- G.SKILL Sniper F3-2400C11D-8GSR (2 sticks of 4GB 2400MHz RAM).
- R9 380X 4GB GDDR5 GPU.
- 80GB SATAII HDD (OS Install) / 500GB SATAIII HDD (Games).
- Generic Micro ATX HP case.
- Acer 19.5" K202HQL 1600x900 5ms Monitor.

I know this is older hardware hence why my last upgrade was from an A6-5400K to an A10-7870K. I knew that it's a dead socket when I upgraded since I didn't have enough to go with Intel and get a GPU (Got the R9 380X 4GB for $120 on Amazon in February w/ a budget of $250). The only reason I go with APUs is for in case my GPU dies on me, I can still use my computer. I don't have the extra money for the scenario that my GPU dies.

The games I play currently with this computer is GTA V, Homefront: The Revolution, AC Syndicate, Batman Arkham City, and Fallout 4. I get decent resolutions with decent framerates already but I want to get into a newer CPU socket so if I have the money, I can buy a way better processor instead of having to upgrade everything again.

A lot of people will probably tell me to go with AM4 as a socket but the only APUs they have are based around the same architecture that I currently am on. That's why I'm looking at Intel but I'm a little overwhelmed at the amount of Intel processors. So, here's my conundrum. Do I update my case (with room for a liquid AIO cooler) and HDD's with at least a 1TB HDD and at least a 80GB SSD or replace my MB and CPU?

I was looking at the Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs but it would require me to get at least 8GB of DDR4 which I don't see that happening within a budget of $180. If there's a mail-in rebate, that's alright to include. I'm not close to any places like Fry's or Micro Center as I live on the Canadian border on the eastern side of Maine so please mention prices from places that will actually ship the product. Also, please don't give an answer like "save up your money" as there are options that don't include a MB, CPU, and RAM.

To everyone who read this novel of a post, thank you so much for taking the time to read it and to help me out.

Solution
Because any worthwhile move to a new CPU/Mobo is going to require new RAM as well, you're going to be well outside the $180 budget. So I'd say hold off on any core upgrade right now. Intel is going to release their new CPU, which is going to have an increase in core counts, this fall. This is going to require a whole new motherboard than the current Skylake/kabylake CPUs and "should" drop the price of kabylake parts. So if you wanted to upgrade but not to the latest parts, you could save a few bucks with going one generation behind.

I'd avoid any move towards an A series APU if you want to do gaming, as those CPU's are just not worth it for the price if you're using a discrete GPU.

If you want to prep for a better system later and...
Because any worthwhile move to a new CPU/Mobo is going to require new RAM as well, you're going to be well outside the $180 budget. So I'd say hold off on any core upgrade right now. Intel is going to release their new CPU, which is going to have an increase in core counts, this fall. This is going to require a whole new motherboard than the current Skylake/kabylake CPUs and "should" drop the price of kabylake parts. So if you wanted to upgrade but not to the latest parts, you could save a few bucks with going one generation behind.

I'd avoid any move towards an A series APU if you want to do gaming, as those CPU's are just not worth it for the price if you're using a discrete GPU.

If you want to prep for a better system later and upgrade your case/HDD, then I'd say do that now and budget for a better CPU/Mobo later down the road.

Solution

Drannon86

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Didn't realize Intel was releasing a brand new architecture though and will have to look into that. I definitely wasn't thinking of moving to the AM4 line of APUs mainly because they're basically Piledriver APUs that have been higher clocked. My thoughts were on Kaby Lake as being the best upgrade path and hopefully they drop their prices for Christmas or for tax season.

Thank you so much for helping me decide what to do and also for the heads up about Intel.

Glad to help out. Also don't forget about Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.