[SOLVED] Upgrade my (old) beast

May 24, 2020
Hi everyone! I am new here, so forgive me in advance if I say somthing stupid or already said :D

I am thinking about upgrading my PC, an old one as You will see, but I have doubts about frome where should I start with. These are my current spec:
  • MSI Z97 Gamming 9 AC (1 year old since my former one 1 day decided to stop working)
  • i7-4790K 4Gz but not OC (I have no knowledge about OC so I didn't risk)
  • Gigabyte GTX 970 Gamming G1
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Budget: ~500€

What would you change first? Or should I wait for new launches? I think I would go for the Graphic card... but Maybe it would be stupid and I should start with the RAM :S
And any suggestion and option would be wellcomed :D

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Solution
What would you change first? Or should I wait for new launches? I think I would go for the Graphic card... but Maybe it would be stupid and I should start with the RAM
A new graphics card would make the most difference in terms of gaming performance. Even something like an RTX 2060 or RX 5600 XT for around $300 would offer around double the graphics performance of a GTX 970. You could always wait for new launches though, as both Nvidia and AMD are rumored to be launching a new generation of graphics cards in several months or so.

That i7 is probably still decent enough to hold onto for a little longer, as most games still get along just fine on a 4-core, 8-thread CPU, and in terms of per-core performance, it's not too far...
What would you change first? Or should I wait for new launches? I think I would go for the Graphic card... but Maybe it would be stupid and I should start with the RAM
A new graphics card would make the most difference in terms of gaming performance. Even something like an RTX 2060 or RX 5600 XT for around $300 would offer around double the graphics performance of a GTX 970. You could always wait for new launches though, as both Nvidia and AMD are rumored to be launching a new generation of graphics cards in several months or so.

That i7 is probably still decent enough to hold onto for a little longer, as most games still get along just fine on a 4-core, 8-thread CPU, and in terms of per-core performance, it's not too far behind current processors.

As for RAM, I wouldn't bother. 16GB is still plenty for today's games, and you will need different RAM (DDR4 or eventually DDR5) when you get around to upgrading the processor.

Solution