Upgrade my pc cpu or gpu

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017
i have a question should i upgrade my i5-6500 for a i7-6700k or my gtx 1060 6gb for a gtx 1070 8gb.

I play:

Arma 3
Battlefield 1,4
Player unknown battlegrounds
Rocket league
Ghost recon wildlands
Cod Black ops 3
Gta V
h1z1 koth
Rust
csgo

Idk whats going with my pc because i have a lots of fps drops and little freezes in the game but my friend has no freezes and fps drops he has about the same pc like me.

i hope u guys can help me out.

Solution

Windows for sure on the SSD. Depending on your free space on the SSD, you can put some games on there as well. For instance, I have HoTS on my SSD and all my steam games on a platter drive. The biggest thing is not to get the SSD too full, else performance will take a large hit.
Well, it could be a lot of factors. Remember identical machines will not always have the same exact results. I honestly don't think an upgrade is necessary. What are your temps and loads looking like? Do you ahve any programs in the background? And what is a FPS drop to you?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
^Agreed on the upgrade is probably not necessary.

Those titles, obviously, can benefit some from upgraded components (some would benefit from a CPU upgrade, but mostly it's he GPU), but your current CPU/GPU pairing should be more than sufficient for a solid experience.

Please post your full specs, and address the temps question posted by Herc08.

Also; which OS? Upgraded or clean install? Latest drivers with full removal of prior versions?

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

temps are fine and i have no things in the backgrond only the game and skype and something google chrome

i said meaningful meaning that would be the only way you would see a difference. an upgrade from a 1060 to a 1070 would be a waste of cash

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

specs:

i5-6500 3,2ghz
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1
Kingston DDR4 HyperX Fury 4x4GB 2400mhz
Western digital caviar blue 1tb 7.2k rpm
MSI B150M MORTAR
Windows 10 pro 64-bit

All lastest drivers are installed

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

yeah that's true but it is expensive and i don't have the money for that

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Which PSU?

Did you remove prior GPU drivers before installing the latest?

Legit OS? (activated, genuine)

What are you using to monitor temps?

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

My cpu temp is around 57 and my gpu is around 65

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

i installed it with geforce experience so it is problably good and nothing is in the way for the fan

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

oh sorry, this psu Seasonic M12II Evo 520W and yeah the geforce programs do that automatically and how can i see my temps on my monitor? Is there a program for that i can see my temps while playing games?

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

idle it is 26 celsius

bloodroses

Distinguished
Looking at your specs, the only thing I can even see worth upgrading right now that'd improve performance is a SSD drive. Frame drops 'could' possibly be due to disk access speeds with the platter drive, but I would more than likely doubt it.

MichaelKingNL

Prominent
May 11, 2017

i was thinking about a ssd but should i install the games on that ssd or only for windows startup?

bloodroses

Distinguished

Windows for sure on the SSD. Depending on your free space on the SSD, you can put some games on there as well. For instance, I have HoTS on my SSD and all my steam games on a platter drive. The biggest thing is not to get the SSD too full, else performance will take a large hit.

Solution