[SOLVED] Upgrade my PC

raulamarosantos

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
So hey guys i've been wanting to get an upgrade on my computer but honestly don't know what should be the priority, the cpu the motherboard or the psu, and neither do I to what should I upgrade, any ideas?

Here are my spec according to CPU-Z
https://valid.x86.fr/q345mg
and if you dont want to open the here they are simplified
My specs are
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
GPU: MSI GEFORCE GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming
PSU: Cooler Master B500 VER.2

Solution
Regardless of how much ill pay (in reasonable terms) what should I do in your opinion? Just to get an idea for the future.
If I was in your position:
Your system is a 60+ fps gaming computer, which is fine. It may not be the best hardware for your monitor, but at least you don't have to purchase new monitor with your next system. I'd stick with what you have now and just save up for a whole new system or a CPU/Motherboard/Memory/GPU combo. The reason I say that is because if you only upgrade one system component at a time, by the time you have all components upgraded, the system will likely out date to the point where you still won't achieve FPS that can match your monitor's refresh rate due to the continuous increase in...
I would go with a used locked i7 7700 and a memory upgrade to 16gb, but only if you cannot afford a new system outright. The clocks may not be as high, but keep in mind you can't overclock with that motherboard and you know the used chip hasn't been abused by overclocking at voltages higher than recommended max. This will give you the best performance uplift scenario possible from a price to performance standpoint. Otherwise, if you'd like to play triple A titles at high to ultra settings you'll need a platform upgrade to achieve this. Keep in mind, even 4 cores/8 threads may prove to be obsolete with near future triple A titles via high refresh rate gaming, as i've seen these games utilize all 8 cores/16 threads of my Ryzen 7 1700. That should buy you some time to think about building a new computer for when the time comes.

Reactions: raulamarosantos

raulamarosantos

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I would go with a used locked i7 7700 and a memory upgrade to 16gb, but only if you cannot afford a new system outright. The clocks may not be as high, but keep in mind you can't overclock with that motherboard and you know the used chip hasn't been abused by overclocking at voltages higher than recommended max. This will give you the best performance uplift scenario possible from a price to performance standpoint. Otherwise, if you'd like to play triple A titles at high to ultra settings you'll need a platform upgrade to achieve this. Keep in mind, even 4 cores/8 threads may prove to be obsolete with near future triple A titles via high refresh rate gaming, as i've seen these games utilize all 8 cores/16 threads of my Ryzen 7 1700. That should buy you some time to think about building a new computer for when the time comes.

Ok so it has been secured that my next upgrade will be this cpu but do you think that the psu will handle the setup? Or should I upgrade it to a better one?
And by the way wich cooler should I get since I'm rocking the stock one on the i5 6500.

raulamarosantos

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Did you read my other post? I just want to make sure you know.

To be honest every component listed is not capable of high refresh rate triple A gaming. You'd have to replace the processor, upgrade the memory and graphics card. This is only for triple A titles though. For esports titles your existing system would be fine the way it is.
^ This one? Yeas I read but I want to go with baby steps upgrading my setup.

But what did you have in your mind for a decent upgrade?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your motherboard is lga1151 1st gen. It only accepts 6 and 7th gen cpus, not 8th or 9th gen which is lga1151 2nd gen.

The best cpu is the i7-7700k, the i7-7700 then the i7-6700k. Yes you can use K cpus on a non Z board just to take advantage of higher boost clocks.

For quite a few games, like CS:GO or LoL, you will not really see much (if any) improvement as you are still running 4 cores or less, exactly the same as your current i5 does. For the rest, that use 5-8 threads there will be a sizable improvement as now the cpu isn't being choked by multiple thread game code. Can be 10-50fps higher ±.

But you'll still be limited by the cpu IPC (instructions per clock) which for 1st gen lga1151 wasn't much of an improvement over the older Haswell series.

Modern AMD IPC in the Ryzen 2nd Gen is equitable to 8th gen Intel, sometimes slightly better with OC. 3rd gen drops in a few months and will be (should be) better still, hopefully topping 9th gen Intel. Recent history has put AMD as better value, more bang for the buck over Intel, even if Intel still had a slight edge in fps. You had to go over the top crazy, i9-9700k/9900k to really make AMD slow by comparison.

So, decisions, decisions. Spend cash on a cpu that's only going to be an advantage in some games, drop cash on a new system that's going to be slower by comparison in a few months, or wait a few months to get a better chance at higher fps for roughly the same money.

Either way, 8Gb of ram at 2133MHz is killing you. Ryzens LOVE fast ram, 2x8Gb 3000 minimum. Intels are running 2666MHz or better. So if upgrading to a Ryzen platform, that 2133MHz ram will put a serious dent in performance, even with 16Gb. If moving to newer Intel, it's still gonna hurt, just not as much.

Last edited:
Regardless of how much ill pay (in reasonable terms) what should I do in your opinion? Just to get an idea for the future.
If I was in your position:
Your system is a 60+ fps gaming computer, which is fine. It may not be the best hardware for your monitor, but at least you don't have to purchase new monitor with your next system. I'd stick with what you have now and just save up for a whole new system or a CPU/Motherboard/Memory/GPU combo. The reason I say that is because if you only upgrade one system component at a time, by the time you have all components upgraded, the system will likely out date to the point where you still won't achieve FPS that can match your monitor's refresh rate due to the continuous increase in triple A gaming performance demands. Triple A titles are optimized for higher core-counts than what your current platform can support.

Last edited:
Solution