Upgrade my PSU?

Robert8x

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Hello, is it worth the upgrade from a Corsair RM 650 to a tier one power supply such as an EVGA 650 G2? It would cost me around £80.

My current GPU and CPU are i5 6600k at 4.5ghz and a gtx 1070

Thanks , Rob

Solution
no need to upgrade.
Despite this tiers rating, RM650 is an excelent PSU.
It got it's rating due to presence of not the best of the best capacitors on secondary which is kinda not really important.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
According to JonnyGuru (expert PSU reviewer) the main issue with that PSU is it is missing two wires 5V wires. He states that this is a concern if you have a 20 pin connector on your motherboard but is fine if you have a 24 pin connector.

If you have a 20pin mobo then change, if not you should be fine. On performance and functionality this PSU scored high:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363

He has skylake.
to find 20 pin MB he needs some 478 socket MB :)

The 5V wires don't really matter if they are missing. The 24-pin ATX cable alone is completely ridiculous for modern day systems since it has an excess of 3.3V and 5V wires. A modern day system today under maximum load will typically only stress the 3.3V rail to about 2A (6.6W) and the 5V rail, depending on the amount of drives of course, but usually to only a couple of amps (10W). The 24-pin ATX connector has five 5V wires on it. Then take into account that hard drives don't even get their 5V from the 24-pin connector but they get it from the SATA cable. So all in all, 5V wires on the 24-pin ATX connector are practically pointless in a modern day system besides having one or two maximum. Some things like an add-on PCI wireless card will use the 5V. But it is virtually only used in hard drives (the spinning disc) and that is about it.

Upgrading to an EVGA 650 G2 would be kind of pointless to be honest. Keep the RM 650, it is a very good unit. The ATX specification is really due for a major revamping. I'm talking about reducing the number of 3.3V and 5V wires to a minimum on the ATX cable, maybe an additional 12V wire, and just getting rid of everything that is useless anymore. It would actually save manufactures a lot of money if the amount of wires could be reduced to something like 10.

TRENDING THREADS