Upgrade my single core compaq D51s to a dual core

Gary duneraider

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hello,
I would like to upgrade my Compaq 2.55 GHz Pentium 4 Single core processor to a Dual Core processor. What jacket type and socket would I use on the new dual core that is compatible.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Unfortunately a P4 uses a socket that isn't like the newer dual core sockets, By the specs I've checked out the board is far too old to support almost anything new since it still uses a AGP 4x video set. T

he cheapest method is proble to invest into a new system since to upgrade to make it compatible would be much more than it would be worth since the form factor power supplies are normally not enough to support a dual core processor from that time line.

Gary duneraider

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Gary duneraider

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Thanks, I was assuming that and appreciate your help. Thank you for realizing my lack of knowledge and responding in a respectfull way. I was leary that I would get a sarcastic reply. Again Thanks.

Gary duneraider

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
from what ive researched, the pentium 4 2.55Ghz is the best that that PC can support anyway. if you dont feel that your PC is slowing down, or is fine the way it is, dont bother upgrading.

if you do wish to upgrade, make sure to include your budget, you main uses of your PC etc.

Thanks for taking the time and replying. As you may well know I am a beginner and was afraid to only get laughed at, or a sarcastic reply. I truely am thankfull for your help.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Nah, we try to break it down however it needs to be since not everyone worries with what are the limits of devices.
Now adays it's actually not expensive at all to set up a decent dual core build since the parts have dropped quiet a bit since the heavy competition between AMD and Intel. For an entry level for normal use it shouldnt' cost more than 350.00 or a midrange for about 550-600 or if your really into gaming an enthusiast level runs normally around 750-1000+ based on parts.