Question Upgrade my system VR Compatibility + better gaming performance

Jun 25, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my current system to something that allows for VR compatablity as well as for better gaming performance. I am looking to upgrade the CPU and Graphics card and I am unsure what will work for my current system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

https://valid.x86.fr/babsiz
CPU-ZID current scan.

Lutfij

Titan
In all honesty, you're going to need to overhaul the system to a new platform, judging from your ownership of a Kaveri APU. What CPU-Z doesn't state is the make and model of your PSU nor it's age nor the make and model of your chassis.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Well it overall depends on your budget and what kind of performance you are looking to get out of it.

Also depends on what country you're in, cuz price and availability of components varies drastically sometimes from country to country.

But here's a starting point for you assuming you live in America.

This system will achieve basic VR at about 60fps.

Please keep in mind that this is budget level components for a basic VR experience, but should do the job just fine.

But like I said, it depends on the performance you're looking for as to whether or not you'll have to splurge on something higher end.
Also depends on what VR experiences you are looking to get.
If you're just looking to use something like an oculus or vive to play non VR games, then it definitely depends on what games you plan to play and at what quality and performance level.

For true VR titles (which aren't nearly as demanding as some normal AAA titles) this system should perform just fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.74 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($354.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $707.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-25 20:05 EDT-0400

Also though, places where you can try to save money are buying a GPU second hand for a bit less, and also waiting until Ryzen 3000 series comes out in July so that the prices on the current 2000 series drops.

Jun 25, 2019
In all honesty, you're going to need to overhaul the system to a new platform, judging from your ownership of a Kaveri APU. What CPU-Z doesn't state is the make and model of your PSU nor it's age nor the make and model of your chassis.

The computer was manufactured in 2015.
Machine Type: 90BG
MTM: 90BG0022US
S/N: R300JS6U
Product Family: Lenovo H50-55
Power Supply: 180W

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883798342

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I'm sorry to say, but just because the system was built in 2015 and the CPU itself was released a year or two before that, doesn't make it good.

The CPU is built on the Bulldozer architecture, which runs on FM2+ which came out forever ago.

It doesn't mean anything when it comes to performance.

However, sure, let's say you are overclocking it as far as it can go with an aftermarket cooler.

And let's say it keeps up with the games you wanna play using VR headset.

Your GPU is still too low spec for a proper VR experience.

You'll need something with the performance of a GTX 1070 or better.

Furthermore, a 180w PSU is downright amazing to me that it's powering your system effectively.

I will have to assume that the 1050 Ti you have is PCIe power only and doesn't require external power cables.

Also, with a PSU like that, I have to retract my statement about overclocking the CPU. It simply just cannot be done with a PSU of that low spec.

Jun 25, 2019
I'm sorry to say, but just because the system was built in 2015 and the CPU itself was released a year or two before that, doesn't make it good.

The CPU is built on the Bulldozer architecture, which runs on FM2+ which came out forever ago.

It doesn't mean anything when it comes to performance.

However, sure, let's say you are overclocking it as far as it can go with an aftermarket cooler.

And let's say it keeps up with the games you wanna play using VR headset.

Your GPU is still too low spec for a proper VR experience.

You'll need something with the performance of a GTX 1070 or better.

Furthermore, a 180w PSU is downright amazing to me that it's powering your system effectively.

I will have to assume that the 1050 Ti you have is PCIe power only and doesn't require external power cables.

Also, with a PSU like that, I have to retract my statement about overclocking the CPU. It simply just cannot be done with a PSU of that low spec.

Oh no lol. I wasnt trying to say my current system was good in anyway(hence why I was asking about upgrading). I was just providing the relevant information that the first poster asked for :). And you are correct. the GPU runs on only PCIe power.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Well for starters, you'll need a better PSU and GPU.
If in the event that your CPU can't quite perform, then upgrading your platform to something better and newer such as Ryzen would be in order.

But for your reference and to give you an idea of a complete new build that would last, I give you this setup.
Keep in mind though that the Ryzen 2600 and X470 motherboard are placeholders, since you may feel inclined to get Ryzen 3000 and X570 series when it releases in July.
Or maybe you'll stick with the 2600 and save money since the price will drop on it.
Or spend the same amount of money but for the next tier up from the 2600 due to the price drops.

Either way, it's just a build that is here for your reference, but not necessary to invest into any of it right now.

Side note, with the two 120mm fans included in the case, along with the fans I added, that would make it a single 120 at the rear, 3x 120mm at the front, and 2x 140mm at the top for optimal airflow.
I didn't include an aftermarket cooler for the CPU since the stock cooler it comes with can handle a moderate overclock on it's own, but if looking to push things further, you will need a beefier cooler with these CPU's.
I included an SSD as a boot drive, and you would keep the current HDD in your system and wipe it to use as mass storage for games and stuff.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.88 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($358.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $937.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-25 22:37 EDT-0400