Upgrade now or later?

wmdwmd123

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
59
0
18,630
My system is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASRock X38TurboTwins LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100243-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

(PSU not a problem/won't be upgrading)


I could upgrade by the end of the summer with 600 dollars, or wait until the end of next summer and have about 1200 dollars. I"m kind of leaning towards next summer, because I'm happy with my system, but any advice/opinions would be welcome.
 

Ilyafordictator

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
55
0
18,630
I would definitely wait until next summer.
You have a pretty nice rig now, unless you are doing really intensive use, you won't need more power
 

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
2,365
0
19,960
Agreed. E8400 / 4870 combo is the sweet spot in performance atm (as you might know) and if you waited you'll be able to jump on the DX11 train, you'll be glad you did.
 

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
504
0
19,010
Yes, Grasshopper...patience is a virtue, with double the money you will either get some great deals on todays hardware or get to jump onboard something new and hot!
 

Ilyafordictator

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
55
0
18,630
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too soon to think about it.
Everything will have drastically changed by then.

Just be happy with what you have now, when you feel it is the right time to upgrade then do.
 
If you're happy with your system, as you say, there's no reason to upgrade now. If it's the urge to build (been gnawing on me too lately!), perhaps you have a family member or friend who would appreciate your building a system for them.