[SOLVED] Upgrade NOW? or wait for Ampere...?

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Asus strix gtx 1080 OC'd, i7 6700k, Kingston ram overclocked to 2400mhz

I have been thinking about this for the last couple months, if i wait for ampere to come out my gpu will be lower in price by that time and i will have to put more money into the newest gpu for that time but if i upgrade now I can sell my 1080 for a gtx 2080ti super...

thoughts?

Solution
I see, well I don't know the oficial system requirements for Cyberpunk 2077, but the PC used on the oficial presentation/demo was built around a Core i7 8700K+GTX 1080Ti, and that CPU has 50 more physical/logical cores than your current Core i7.

So only for that reason alone, I would probably wait and see how the game runs on diferente CPUs when launched on diferent reviews. Or atleast wait till the oficial system requirements get out into the light.

Also keep in mind that for 1080p @ 60Hz any RTX 2070 Super should be more than enough if the card tested was a GTX 1080ti.

Cheers

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you always wait 6 months (as an example) for the next X to come out, you'd never buy anything.

If you could utilize the horsepower of a 2080TI, and can recoup a fair amount for a 1080 in order to do so, I wouldn't wait, personally.

Of course, if you don't need an upgrade at the moment, there's no harm in waiting.
Whether you end up jumping on the latest and greatest at that time, doesn't really matter - a 2080TI will come down in price a bit then too.

I don't think a lot will change for you. 2080 vs 1080 did not change much, If you don't play a lot into BF5 or scare titles that do raytraycing, its not worth the hassle and $.
I would focus on WHY I want to upgrade.
If you have a reason AND current 2080TI will be enough to solve the problem, then don't wait.
If you like me say that my build is GOOD ENOUGH for now, I am fine with FPS and raytracing is not supported in games I play, what's the point of the upgrade ?
Ask yourself if youre satisfied by what you have, upgrade just for upgrading is often a pure dissapointment.

Asus strix gtx 1080 OC'd, i7 6700k, Kingston ram overclocked to 2400mhz

I have been thinking about this for the last couple months, if i wait for ampere to come out my gpu will be lower in price by that time and i will have to put more money into the newest gpu for that time but if i upgrade now I can sell my 1080 for a gtx 2080ti super...

thoughts?

When I first read your post I thought you were going to ask about updating your CPU lol.

What kind of games do you play?
What resolution and refresh rate are you aiming for?

You will probably see an increase in FPS between the two GPUs, but keep in mind that the increase will be limited by your current CPU.

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
When I first read your post I thought you were going to ask about updating your CPU lol.

What kind of games do you play?
What resolution and refresh rate are you aiming for?

You will probably see an increase in FPS between the two GPUs, but keep in mind that the increase will be limited by your current CPU.

For all who are wondering I am looking to be playing cyberpunk 2077, dying light 2, 1080p at LEAST above 60fps at all times I only have a PRIME Z270-k motherboard

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I don't think a lot will change for you. 2080 vs 1080 did not change much, If you don't play a lot into BF5 or scare titles that do raytraycing, its not worth the hassle and $.
I would focus on WHY I want to upgrade.
If you have a reason AND current 2080TI will be enough to solve the problem, then don't wait.
If you like me say that my build is GOOD ENOUGH for now, I am fine with FPS and raytracing is not supported in games I play, what's the point of the upgrade ?
Ask yourself if youre satisfied by what you have, upgrade just for upgrading is often a pure dissapointment.

upgrading to stay above 60fps in all titles at all times on max settings 1080p

I see, well I don't know the oficial system requirements for Cyberpunk 2077, but the PC used on the oficial presentation/demo was built around a Core i7 8700K+GTX 1080Ti, and that CPU has 50 more physical/logical cores than your current Core i7.

So only for that reason alone, I would probably wait and see how the game runs on diferente CPUs when launched on diferent reviews. Or atleast wait till the oficial system requirements get out into the light.

Also keep in mind that for 1080p @ 60Hz any RTX 2070 Super should be more than enough if the card tested was a GTX 1080ti.

Cheers

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

At 1080p, RodroX is correct - the 6700K will probably start to limit you (if it's not already) on newer released titles.

Of course, a 6700K is going to be above the 'minimum' requirements (or comparable) for 99.99% of games released for the next few years yet (game developers would be crazy to alienate a substantial userbase with CPUs with 4c+HT or less) , but whether it'll allow a 2080TI or greater to be fully 'unleashed' at 1080p, is debatable.

Reactions: RodroX and King_V
The GTX1080 isn't going to be limiting factor at 1080p 60FPS. What is going to be limiting in the future is the I7-6700k. Although that i7 won't be obsolete (will be above minimum requirements for new games), it might hold back future higher end GPUs (and also probably below recommended requirements for new games).

on 1080p 1080 still can do 60 FPS. Even cyberpunk was ~65'ISH
https://www.game-debate.com/low-vs-ultra-graphics-settings/4614-cyberpunk-2077/1701-geforce-gtx-1080
your build still works fine on all fronts.
I call that upgrade a waste of $, but it's your cash.
I as always recommend at least 2 up policy, yelds best results.
2 generations
1 generation 1 model
or 2 models up
so:
2080 ti
ampere XX80