[SOLVED] Upgrade now or wait for zen4

mohdalmajed9

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
Hello guys,

I'm considering making an upgrade but I'm hesitant since current-gen ryzen CPUs are the last ones to be released on this platform so I will have to swap mobo and CPU again in the future, so is it wise to wait until zen4 rolls out? since this will be a major upgrade

mind that I play at 1080p 144hz.

system specs
i5-6600k
16GB ram 2133Mhz
MSI Z170-A Pro motherboard
GTX 1070

Last edited:
Solution
Funnily enough, yeah it is, CPU is struggling to run modern games (cod MW runs at 30fps no joke) at the target FPS (200ish) GPU can do it with lower settings but the CPU just can't keep up with the increased load, and it boils down to the 1% Low FPS that makes the difference. I like to sweat ingame and that's what makes it matter.

and to clear the confusion you had, what I meant was if I were to upgrade to current-gen ryzen, I would have to swap my motherboard again if I wanted to make an upgrade since next-gen ryzen will get a whole new socket and even next-gen ram (DDR5), which is costly to do.

sorry for making it confusing though 😅.

Thanks I was like wait lol..

But I mean the thing is man, you dont ALWAYS have to have to...
Hello guys,

I'm considering making an upgrade but I'm hesitant since current-gen ryzen CPUs are the last ones to be released on this platform so I will have to swap mobo and CPU again in the future, so is it wise to wait until zen4 rolls out? since this will be a major

mind that I play at 1080p 144hz.

system specs
i5-6600k
16GB ram 2133Mhz
MSI Z170-A Pro motherboard
GTX 1070

I mean "worth it" is all perspective. For 1080p 144hz do I think doing that big of an upgrade where you have to switch out the mobo and all that worth it? No. But to you it might be. Or to someone else.

2nd off, Im a bit confused about your post. You said "but I'm hesitant since current-gen ryzen CPUs are the last ones to be released on this platform so I will have to swap mobo and CPU" ..... what platform are you referring to because you listed a Intel platform mobo and cpu.

mohdalmajed9

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
I mean "worth it" is all perspective. For 1080p 144hz do I think doing that big of an upgrade where you have to switch out the mobo and all that worth it? No. But to you it might be. Or to someone else.

2nd off, I'm a bit confused about your post. You said "but I'm hesitant since current-gen ryzen CPUs are the last ones to be released on this platform so I will have to swap mobo and CPU" ..... what platform are you referring to because you listed a Intel platform mobo and cpu.

Funnily enough, yeah it is, CPU is struggling to run modern games (cod MW runs at 30fps no joke) at the target FPS (200ish) GPU can do it with lower settings but the CPU just can't keep up with the increased load, and it boils down to the 1% Low FPS that makes the difference. I like to sweat ingame and that's what makes it matter.

and to clear the confusion you had, what I meant was if I were to upgrade to current-gen ryzen, I would have to swap my motherboard again if I wanted to make an upgrade since next-gen ryzen will get a whole new socket and even next-gen ram (DDR5), which is costly to do.

But I mean the thing is man, you dont ALWAYS have to have to newest and best out. Now that I know what you were saying, your about to upgrade and either way your still going to have to get a new mobo, so with that now clear, I would just do it now and heres why.

At 1080p 144hz current gen Ryzen is MORE than enough. You will not need next gen Ryzen or next gen anything. This is where it comes down to what I said before.. "worth it" is all perspective. To you it may be worth it to have the newest cpu out. To me I could run off current gen Ryzen for the next 5 years and be perfectly fine as I also play at 1080p 144hz. Also, when you wait a couple years after the newest has been released its much cheaper and just more accessible in general and I like that as well. Its all up to you wether you want to wait or not because you could build/buy a PC .. TODAY .. that will last you the next 5 years at 1080p 144hz.

If you really want to be able to have a upgrade path to next gen Ryzen, without spending cash for a mobo twice then your only option is to wait I guess.

Solution

mohdalmajed9

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017

But I mean the thing is man, you dont ALWAYS have to have to newest and best out. Now that I know what you were saying, your about to upgrade and either way your still going to have to get a new mobo, so with that now clear, I would just do it now and heres why.

At 1080p 144hz current gen Ryzen is MORE than enough. You will not need next gen Ryzen or next gen anything. This is where it comes down to what I said before.. "worth it" is all perspective. To you it may be worth it to have the newest cpu out. To me I could run off current gen Ryzen for the next 5 years and be perfectly fine as I also play at 1080p 144hz. Also, when you wait a couple years after the newest has been released its much cheaper and just more accessible in general and I like that as well. Its all up to you wether you want to wait or not because you could build/buy a PC .. TODAY .. that will last you the next 5 years at 1080p 144hz.

If you really want to be able to have a upgrade path to next gen Ryzen, without spending cash for a mobo twice then your only option is to wait I guess.

Yeah, that could be it. them leaks got me drooling over that +20% ish IPC 😆.

Thanks for your time and input!!!

Reactions: Jason H.
Yeah, that could be it. them leaks got me drooling over that +20% ish IPC 😆.

Thanks for your time and input!!!

Trust me I get it and that +20% ish IPC could make it worth it to you! All perspective haha!

Nobody can tell you whats best for YOU better than you can :)

And no problem thats why we are here, hope you have a great time with your upgrades no matter which route you choose to go :)

mohdalmajed9

Reputable
Oct 6, 2017
Don’t get me wrong, I’m usually an amd supporter, but was looking at the fact you had 2133 MHz ram, it might save you some money to keep it.
I get what you're saying, but I am actually looking to swap my ram for a 32GB 3200/3600MHz kit aswell, as I am getting interested in productivity and stuff haha.
Thanks again for your time, and sorry for the late reply haven't checked the site earlier.

TRENDING THREADS