Upgrade of Existing PC (Budget Approx £650)

Moventa

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Hello All,

My first post, so please bear with me.

My current setup is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150
CPU: Intel I5-4670K
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660
1x 250GB SSD
1x 1TB HHD
Power : Cosair CX600M

My question is which parts should i focus on upgrading now?

I have found that the RAM is being bottlenecked as it is at 1.65volts and only able to use 1.5volts so was looking into upgrading that to possibly:

- Cosair Vengence Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 1866Mhz (have checked and have no issues)

Case wise i need to upgrade as i have the same case (STYLISH PIANO BLACK FUSION CASE inc. 2 FRONT USB) which was bought back in 2009 and is not fully working. Not sure if to downsize to a mid-tower?

Any suggestions would be much appriciated

Cheers

Mov

Solution
First of all:
Go into your BIOS and change the voltage for the RAM, if that doesn't work then just replace them or just add the 8GB on top of what you already have.
The cases I would suggest (Mid-Tower):
Aerocool VS-1 Mid-Tower Case with Window - Black- £27
NZXT CA-S340W-B1- £56
Fractal Design Core 3500- £80- This one is a bit expensive, I got it for less than £80 but apart from that its really smart and nice if you're looking for that sleek look.
Other than that I think that you're PC is fine as it is for now, I'd be looking at an upgrade of the GPU in a couple of months if you've got the money, wouldn't go crazy though as the GTX 660 is still a good GPU especially if you OC it.

Ozikkk

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
First of all:
Go into your BIOS and change the voltage for the RAM, if that doesn't work then just replace them or just add the 8GB on top of what you already have.
The cases I would suggest (Mid-Tower):
Aerocool VS-1 Mid-Tower Case with Window - Black- £27
NZXT CA-S340W-B1- £56
Fractal Design Core 3500- £80- This one is a bit expensive, I got it for less than £80 but apart from that its really smart and nice if you're looking for that sleek look.
Other than that I think that you're PC is fine as it is for now, I'd be looking at an upgrade of the GPU in a couple of months if you've got the money, wouldn't go crazy though as the GTX 660 is still a good GPU especially if you OC it.

Solution

Moventa

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Thank you Ozikkk,

I went with the NZXT case in the end.
I also upgraded the RAM, just waiting for delivery tomorrow to swap over and give all the components a good clean before rebuilding into the new case.

Thanks again, will be waiting for a couple of months on my GPU as i hear AMD are bringing out a card and Nvidia are bringing out a 1060? should hopefully drop the prices in the UK as a 1070 is crazy expensive atm.

Cheers

Mov

Moventa

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

All went well (had to replace power supply too, cosair one went funny and caused the pc to not boot up after restart).
most likely going to get the RX480 MSI Armour version as they are reasonably priced compared to all the Nvidia GTX ranges.

Reactions: Ozikkk