Question Upgrade of my 12 year old PC ?

Jul 16, 2022
I have and PC which old but is in good condition. The specs are :

CPU: i5 650
RAM: 2*4 gb ddr3
HDD: baracuda 7200rpm hdd
-- No GPU --

Im planning on a super low budget upgrade...
What to do?

Jul 16, 2022
A few questions:
  • What's this PC for? (Photoshop, video editing, basic web browsing, games, etc)?
  • What's your budget?
  • Are you willing to build your PC yourself or get a pre-built one that works out the box?
  1. On the productive side I'll be using Photoshop, pro tools and movavi.
  2. Budget will be between 150-200 dollars
  3. I think I might consult an experienced one but I will be building it myself.

Jul 16, 2022
Please stylize your thread with a followup post, with information asked of in this thread. We can move forward from there. Also, please list your specs like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
CPU: i5 650

Motherboard: no data

Ram: 2 * 8 gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram

HDD: baracuda 7200rpm 1tb

GPU: none

PSU: 230 watts

Chassis: mini tower/ matx/ micro atx

Monitor: lg 22m35b 24 inch 1080p monitor[/QUOTE]

Jul 16, 2022
If you are overall happy with what you have and just want to bump things along a little replace the hdd with a ssd.
Sure man but I want to edit some videos...
Previously I had a hp pavilion 15... Its motherboard was shorted and now I'm left with this... I tried installing movavi but it simply said no video card detected...

Jul 16, 2022
Assuming you're running XP or W7, get rid of those and rather install something that works better (i.e. more safe and more responsive) like a light weight Linux distro, i.e. Linux Mint or Linux Lite. Takes a while to get accustom to it, but totally worth the effort in my opinion.
No can do brother... I am a free time gamer and most of my favourite games are compatible for windows... Btw I use windows 10....

Tac 25

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
@Nirmal Joshwin

goodluck then, I hope you get a GT 1030 GDDR5 for a good price.

is this your first time installing a GPU?

here are the steps if it's your first time to install one.

first: download this driver, it's the official Nvidia website. So it's the safest place to get gpu driver. After you've downloaded it, just leave it at the desktop. I assume you're using windows 10?

second: turn off the power of the pc. Insert the gpu into the pcie slot. Screw it to the side of the case.

three: attach dvi cable or hdmi cable from your monitor into the gpu. Btw, hdmi is better imo.

four: turn on pc. The desktop will be on very low resolution, but don't worry. Now double click, the gpu driver that is on the desktop. Choose "Express install" personally, I also let it install Geforce Experience, but you can choose not to have it.

five: have fun with games. :)

Jul 16, 2022
@Nirmal Joshwin

goodluck then, I hope you get a GT 1030 GDDR5 for a good price.

is this your first time installing a GPU?

here are the steps if it's your first time to install one.

first: download this driver, it's the official Nvidia website. So it's the safest place to get gpu driver. After you've downloaded it, just leave it at the desktop. I assume you're using windows 10?

second: turn off the power of the pc. Insert the gpu into the pcie slot. Screw it to the side of the case.

three: attach dvi cable or hdmi cable from your monitor into the gpu. Btw, hdmi is better imo.

four: turn on pc. The desktop will be on very low resolution, but don't worry. Now double click, the gpu driver that is on the desktop. Choose "Express install" personally, I also let it install Geforce Experience, but you can choose not to have it.

five: have fun with games. :)
Thanks for this additional support brother...
I'll surely try this... 👍

Jul 16, 2022
Note to yourself and everybody else as well : If this info was included in first post, the thread could be less polluted by non relevant suggestions (because, in this case, demand for Adobe products automatically exclude any use of open source OS'es on that computer).
Ok

Tac 25

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
@Nirmal Joshwin

one last thing. If you could spend a little more.. I suggest buying an i5-760... it's a Quad core, better for budget gaming than the i5-650 currently installed on your pc. Also cheap to get, i5-760 is approximately 7 dollars to buy online. Since the motherboard is unknown, it's not 100% sure to work, but I think it's worth trying..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022
@Nirmal Joshwin

one last thing. If you could spend a little more.. I suggest buying an i5-760... it's a Quad core, better for budget gaming than the i5-650 currently installed on your pc. Also cheap to get, i5-760 is approximately 7 dollars to buy online. Since the motherboard is unknown, it's not 100% sure to work, but I think it's worth trying..
Ok..thanks!

Tac 25

Commendable
Jul 25, 2021
you're welcome.

if you are able to get GT 1030 GDDR5 and i5-760, that should give some new life to your old rig. 720p would become possible with several games.

ASK THE COMMUNITY