[SOLVED] upgrade office pc for lite gaming.

Aug 21, 2020
CPU:Core i3 550
Ram:4gb DDR3
Hdd: 256gb
Graphics : Intel(R) HD Graphics
PSU:250w

So, what should i upgrade to play lite gaming.
I think I want to add graphic card but I`m not so clever about PC part so can you help me what to do?

Last edited:
Solution
Motherboard: LENOVO 5536PP9
I also think want to change case I think I'm going to change everything hahaha.This what I think......
my next spec:
Intel xeon ES-2420V2
LGa1356 motherboard
DDR3 Memory
RX470

hahaha what do you think?
I wouldn't settle on that Xeon if there are other CPU options like the i7-2600 or i7-3770. Both of those CPUs are faster in games than the Xeon you picked because the Xeon has a lower CPU speed.

Do you have any AMD Ryzen options available that fit your budget? A Ryzen 5 1600 would be about as fast as the i7-3770. The Ryzen will require DDR4 ram.

You are going to need a good power supply to power the GPU that is at least a 450 watt with at minimum one 6+2 pin PCIE cable to plug into the RX 470 8 pin...

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
What's the PC for? Is this a laptop? What type of graphics slot do you have? Would honestly recommend upgrading the whole system, unless you just want to do web-browsing. 8Gb RAM is best for windows 10, but 4gb will do fine. Getting an SSD will certainly make it feel nicer. If individual windows are slow to minimize or maximize, then it would be the GPU slowing you down. Unfortunately, there would be no way of replacing the integrated graphics(without removing the CPU). If you are interested in using an iGPU, AMD makes the better ones nowadays. Maybe go for a cheap dedicated graphics card like the GT 1030. Haven't done much research on the matter, but it would cost you around 70-80USD. Make sure you have the necessary PCIe port. If that's too much for you, a GT 710 is available in the 30s of dollars range. The performance of the GT 1030 is about 3-4 times better tho. If your interested in a nearly full rebuild here you go:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $99.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $82.99 @ Newegg
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $39.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $222.97
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-23 02:33 EDT-0400 |

Should be able to keep PSU, storage and case(mATX should fit most). Can't guarantee that your case is standardized to fit even normal ATX or mATX. The iGPU on the Ryzen 3 3200G falls about 2 thirds of that of the GT 1030, whereas the 710 falls just above one third the performance of the Vega 8(iGPU on the Ryzen 3 3200G).

Comparing your build to the old computer I sold for my mom, your graphics card would be the most noticeable slow part. The CPU is capable of handling web browsing for sure. Would recommend going for a GT 1030 if that is in your budget(and the slot is available in your motherboard). Quadro K600 is also an even match against the GT 710, in terms of value, at 5 USD more. I don't know much about these newer chips, but I'm willing to give you some help if wanted. New graphics card should offer improved performance for web browsing(and video watching). You can also upgrade to windows 10 for free btw. Did this on my moms old laptop(now sold). Search it up! If your upset about slow boot times, an SSD is your answer. Something like a 240gb Kingston A400 would do you wonders. The WD green is cheaper but less reliable, as well as the ADATA SU830 or whatever it's called(I'm just remembering these names from the research I was doing for someone else).

Hope I could help!

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I just want to clarify that you don't need to remove an integrated graphics card to get a new dedicated one. It's just on the CPU, but you can just plug your HDMI directly into the graphics card, not the motherboard

I can't answer your question very well without more information: What are you going to use this for? What do you hope to achieve? What is your budget?

I can tell you right now though, unless your goal is to play older games at 720p on the lowest settings, your entire system is lacking and you'd be better off starting over with a different PC entirely.

4GB of RAM is barely enough to run Windows 10, 8 GB is considered minimum for games. A 2 core CPU won't run games very well either anymore.

Unless playing graphically simple 8-12 year old games (Quake 3, MOH, etc.) on an older OS (Win7. although even that experience is marginal on only 4 GB of RAM), there is not much you can really do to make a system this old and with such a small PSU work on any semi-recent games...(just my opinion)

I'd start spec'ing out an R3-3300X/B450/DDR4 based system with a 500-600 watt PSU that will handle a semi -decent GPU.....

Aug 21, 2020
Specs: CPU: Core i3 550
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1366Mhz RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 285

I saw someone using this spec and could run game such as gta v smoothly.
what do you think ?

Aug 21, 2020
Specs: CPU: Core i3 550
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1366Mhz RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 285

I saw someone using this spec and could run game such as gta v smoothly.
what do you think ?

Aug 21, 2020
That i3 was bottom of the line even when introduced, was by no means "gaming" CPU. Adding a good GPU is not going to help much if any because playing at low resolutions (720p-1080p) is mostly CPU bound.

So, is there any i5 or i7 that using lga 1156 socket and can run game smoothly when using gtx 750ti?

So, is there any i5 or i7 that using lga 1156 socket and can run game smoothly when using gtx 750ti?
Is your system a prebuilt like a Dell or HP or was it built for you? If it's a prebuilt, what is the model name and number?

Depending on the size of the case and the layout inside, you may or may not be able to upgrade the CPU or even add a GPU. Upgrading to a compatible i5 or i7 is likely to require a new CPU cooler and you will not only have to make sure it fits, but that it is compatible with the motherboards mounting holes. "Standard" third-party ATX motherboards usually never have an issue when mounting an aftermarket coolers because they are designed to mount the standard Intel or AMD cooler for their respective platforms.

Adding a GPU may require that you buy a low profile low power card if the motherboard and case don't support a "normal" sized card. You may also need to buy a low power card if your power supply does not have PCIE cables to power a GPU. The fastest GPU currently available that can be both low profile and require no PCIE power cables is the GTX 1650. The next best option below that is the GT 1030 which is around 150-200% slower.

Aug 21, 2020
Is your system a prebuilt like a Dell or HP or was it built for you? If it's a prebuilt, what is the model name and number?

Depending on the size of the case and the layout inside, you may or may not be able to upgrade the CPU or even add a GPU. Upgrading to a compatible i5 or i7 is likely to require a new CPU cooler and you will not only have to make sure it fits, but that it is compatible with the motherboards mounting holes. "Standard" third-party ATX motherboards usually never have an issue when mounting an aftermarket coolers because they are designed to mount the standard Intel or AMD cooler for their respective platforms.

Adding a GPU may require that you buy a low profile low power card if the motherboard and case don't support a "normal" sized card. You may also need to buy a low power card if your power supply does not have PCIE cables to power a GPU. The fastest GPU currently available that can be both low profile and require no PCIE power cables is the GTX 1650. The next best option below that is the GT 1030 which is around 150-200% slower.

I also think want to change case I think I'm going to change everything hahaha.This what I think......
my next spec:
Intel xeon ES-2420V2
LGa1356 motherboard
DDR3 Memory
RX470

Last edited:
my next spec:
Intel xeon ES-2420V2
LGa1356 motherboard
DDR3 Memory
RX470

I wouldn't settle on that Xeon if there are other CPU options like the i7-2600 or i7-3770. Both of those CPUs are faster in games than the Xeon you picked because the Xeon has a lower CPU speed.

Do you have any AMD Ryzen options available that fit your budget? A Ryzen 5 1600 would be about as fast as the i7-3770. The Ryzen will require DDR4 ram.

You are going to need a good power supply to power the GPU that is at least a 450 watt with at minimum one 6+2 pin PCIE cable to plug into the RX 470 8 pin power socket. Buy the power supply new if you can, so you reduce the chance of the system having issues or possibly destroying parts.

Solution
Aug 21, 2020

You are going to need a good power supply to power the GPU that is at least a 450 watt with at minimum one 6+2 pin PCIE cable to plug into the RX 470 8 pin power socket. Buy the power supply new if you can, so you reduce the chance of the system having issues or possibly destroying parts.
THANKS FOR YIOUR HELP

TRENDING THREADS