[SOLVED] Upgrade Old BIOSTAR MB W-SSD OS Issue

May 24, 2020
I have an old PC with a BIOSTAR A770E3 MB that currently boots from a SATA HDD with XP, I have a 500GB EVO SATA SSD that was in an old laptop that ran Windows 7. After connecting the SSD to the PC I can open the drive and navigate files. When I switch to boot from the newer SSD and F10, I see the "Windows is Starting" graphics but it just drops back into the Bios Screen and continues this pattern over and over with a single click sound each time. I looked up the MB BIOS Update and there is a Windows 7 & 10 downloadable update.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=450#download

I want to upgrade this to only use the newer SATA SSD Drive, then maybe upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. My concern is if I upgrade the BIOS to windows 7 and it still won't support my newer SSD will it still boot from the old HDD with XP on it?

I think I originally built this PC in about 2008

I'm upgrading the PC for my two 11 year old daughters to use for surfing web and basic PC needs. Thank you in advance for any help. BTW, I'm only somewhat savvy with my knowledge in upgrading a PC.

Solution
I have an old PC with a BIOSTAR A770E3 MB that currently boots from a SATA HDD with XP, I have a 500GB EVO SATA SSD that was in an old laptop that ran Windows 7. After connecting the SSD to the PC I can open the drive and navigate files. When I switch to boot from the newer SSD and F10, I see the "Windows is Starting" graphics but it just drops back into the Bios Screen and continues this pattern over and over with a single click sound each time. I looked up the MB BIOS Update and there is a Windows 7 & 10 downloadable update.

I want to upgrade this to only use the newer SATA SSD Drive, then maybe upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. My concern...

I want to upgrade this to only use the newer SATA SSD Drive, then maybe upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. My concern is if I upgrade the BIOS to windows 7 and it still won't support my newer SSD will it still boot from the old HDD with XP on it?

I think I originally built this PC in about 2008

I'm upgrading the PC for my two 11 year old daughters to use for surfing web and basic PC needs. Thank you in advance for any help. BTW, I'm only somewhat savvy with my knowledge in upgrading a PC.
XP doesn't recognize SSDs as such so it wouldn't be best for it. It would try to automatically defragment it which is no good for SSDs.
Best to install W7 or W10 directly on it (can't directly upgrade from XP) but make sure that SATA ports are set to AHCI mode in BIOS. Other than that, MB has only SATA 2 ports so SSD will run at lower speed although still much faster than any HDD.
PS. if you have valid key to W7, you can install W10 directly and use that key to activate it.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution