Question Upgrade old laptop or buy new laptop?

Nov 15, 2019
Hello,

I have an old laptop (Dell Inspiron 14R 7420, Intel core i7, 3rd gen iirc). Bought it about 7 years ago. The HDD (WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 SATA, 1TB) is failing, when I running the diagnosis using the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic, it said that there are too many bad sectors. I tried again after sfc chkdsk and it yield the same result.

So, I wonder if I should buy a new laptop or just replace the HDD with SSD (if possible). What do you guys think? Which way is worthier?

FYI, I mainly use my laptop for photo manipulating and design.

Thanks in advance.

Grobe

Distinguished
I think this is all up to yourself to decide.

The SSD choice is of course cheaper, and you'll probably get less space - but then again it depends on how much space you need.
I think if you opt for a very SSD with very large capacity (like 1G and beyond) then it get costly and you may reconsider if you rather just buy a new laptop.

I also think you should consider the wear and general condition of the laptop.

Btw : your computer isn't old. I run a Lattitude D620, it's like 12 yrs now and still doing just well (exept from battery og course) :vendredi:

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

I have an old laptop (Dell Inspiron 14R 7420, Intel core i7, 3rd gen iirc). Bought it about 7 years ago. The HDD (WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 SATA, 1TB) is failing, when I running the diagnosis using the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic, it said that there are too many bad sectors. I tried again after sfc chkdsk and it yield the same result.

So, I wonder if I should buy a new laptop or just replace the HDD with SSD (if possible). What do you guys think? Which way is worthier?

FYI, I mainly use my laptop for photo manipulating and design.

Thanks in advance.
About $100 gets you a drop in 1TB SSD replacement.
If the laptop is otherwise OK, that's what I'd consider doing first.

Crucial MX500, 1TB, $107.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-NAND-SATA-Internal/dp/B077SF8KMG

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS