Upgrade options and personal opinions on my system

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Hi there. There are some questions and frustrations in my head, I had to share these with people. Sorry If you find this boring.

I live in Turkey. Built my first gaming rig back in April 2018. I have been on a tight budget building my rig so I had to cut here and there. After months later I upgraded my cpu to 2600X from 2200G and a week ago I bought 500GB version of Samsung 860 Evo. Here is my current specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
RAM: GSKILL RipjawsV 8 GB 3000 MHz
GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 3GB OC
PSU: Silverstone Strider 80+ 500W
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB
HDD: WD Blue 2.5" 1TB 5400 RPM
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-4
Display: Viewsonic VX2457-mhd 75hz

And here is my brainstorming: B350 has no problem with 2600X but unfortunately it doesn't support Precision Boost Overdrive for it. So I had to overclocked it 4.1 GHz on all cores with 1.38v core voltage. RAM's SPD supports 3000 MHz XMP but it's unstable so I tweaked it to 2933 MHz which is more than enough anyway. Although I didn't have enough budget for dual channel RAM so I stick with a single channel, 1x8GB. Motherboard has 4 slots but I didn't purchase 2x4 since I was hoping to get another stick of same RAM.

Same cut goes for GTX 1060 3G. When I was buying these parts the crytomining was decreasing but still GPUs were expensive. I had 1050 Ti in mind but when I compare 1050 Ti with 1060 3G, performance difference was high and I'm not gonna use it for above 1080p or modern titles with ultra settings anyway and more so I found a cheap option for it so I picked it. Even now it's still fine but GPU prices went normal so maybe a GPU upgrade would be nice.

I don't have too much money so I thought about these options:
1- Buying 1 stick of same RAM from cheapest seller, dual channel matters and 16 gigs is better than 8 gigs. (Finding same timings, frequency and capacity from other brands is harder actually, I don't know why)
2- Somehow manage to sell GTX 1060 3G, add some money on it and buy a new card. I say somehow because economy is struggling here, perhaps you heard if you check foreign news.
3- Buy Displayport cable and try G-sync at Freesync monitors. It's fresh news so maybe some people still don't know about it. It's worth trying but not guarantee to work with my specific display.

For second option I need to add some details. I have bought 1060 3G for US$350 about 9-10 months ago. (1300-1400 liras, 1 USD was equal to 4 liras back then + GPUs were too pricey as we all know, 1 USD is 5.33 liras right now.) There are sellers pricing it US$300(1640 liras) now. Meanwhile, MSI RX580 8GB OC is 6-8 dollars cheaper(1600 liras) and this card is almost equal to 6GB version of 1060. So this gave me the tought of selling mine and adding money and buying RX580 8GB. But, does it worth it anyway? Maybe waiting for Navi is better or saving money for GTX 1080/RTX 2060 level? Also my monitor supports Freesync.

I play a lot of old and modern games like Rainbow Six: Siege, Battlefield 1, Arma 3, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Empire: Total War, Far Cry 5 etc. at 1080p resolution. But some modern titles -like Far Cry 5- I had to cut some graphics options to get 1080p 75fps. Maybe I should buy a displayport cable and try to use the new G-sync support at Freesync monitors?

Back to the main point and summarize things, I have little money. I would like to upgrade my rig but I'm not sure even should I do that, if so which part should I upgrade first?

If you have read it all until here thank you for spending time here.

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Bump.

Upgrading mobo to a x470, maybe MSI X470 Gaming Plus will be beneficial. I need to buy new 2x8 RAM which will be compatible with new mobo though since it can be an issue. Also still not sure if upgrading to RX580 8GB worth it or not. Maybe totally skip gpu upgrade for this gen and upgrade mobo + buy new dual channel RAM.