Upgrade options for a pci-express 1.0a x16 Low Profile (250 Watt PSU)

GreenDiamond

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I am looking to up grade my graphics card for a Dell Studio Slim line 540s. My graphic card is a ATI RADEON HD 4350 512 MB. Also, pci-express 1.0a x16 Low Profile (250 Watt PSU). I understand that this card uses the cpu for part of the processing. I would like to avoid this so that card does all the work since my cpu tends to run slower than "normal". It is a Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50 GHz and it freezes often. I am hoping to fix this. The driver on the present grafic card is up to date.

The computer is Not used for gaming. It is used for multimedia/Internet only but I would like the best update on the graphic card since I plan to have the computer for a few more years.

What are my best options without spending too much ($150 max but prefer under $100)?

Thanks!

GreenDiamond

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Sorry, I am new to forum and tried to correct the first message but re submitted it instead,

I am looking for a card that is SILENT or extremely quiet!!

Thanks!

GreenDiamond

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the advice!

Although that is a good card, it doesn't fit my criteria of being silent, since it has a fan. Plus, I am uncertain as to whether it can be used on a 1.0a PCI-express buss. It is my understanding that 2.0 can be used on 1.0a but I have been told that 2.1 and up are not compatible?? Please correct me if I am wrong on that!

TRENDING THREADS