Question Upgrade options - GPU or CPU? or a fresh start?

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi guys,

Just a quick thanks in advance for any advice you guys give. Taking time out of your day to help a complete stranger, you guys are awesome...

So my question is, do I ugrade my GPU or CPU? or even more extreme option - sell up and start from scratch.

Main goal is to improve FPS playing CoD Warzone + MW2

Current PC spec:

MoBo : Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi B450
RAM: 16gb
CPU: AMDRyzen 7 3700X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
M.2: Samsung 970 SSD 500gb

So I've been contemplating purchasing a 2nd hand 3080 GPU for approximately £550 and I could potentially recoup 150-200 for my GPU so an upgrade cost of ~ £300, but I'm not entirely sure if that will even work with my build? Let alone - is it the best option for improvement???

Thanks so much guys and girls...

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Your CPU and GPU are pretty much future proof for a fair while so if you're getting low FPS (or not sufficient FPS) try lowering your graphics settings until they're stable/high enough.
Personally I'd recommend:
Upgrade your RAM to 32GB (3200mhz+ preferably... DDR4 3600 and DDR4 4000 are still sufficient for most systems and not too expensive at around £100ish+)
Upgrade your M.2 Drive to 1TB (or 2TB) and possibly consider getting another M.2 (500GB preferably) Dedicated for use as a boot drive.

Hi guys,

Just a quick thanks in advance for any advice you guys give. Taking time out of your day to help a complete stranger, you guys are awesome...

So my question is, do I ugrade my GPU or CPU? or even more extreme option - sell up and start from scratch.

Current PC spec:

So I've been contemplating purchasing a 2nd hand 3080 GPU for approximately £550 and I could potentially recoup 150-200 for my GPU so an upgrade cost of ~ £300, but I'm not entirely sure if that will even work with my build? Let alone - is it the best option for improvement???

A 3080 will be a bump in vid power don't forget a psu to power the thing.

Your call about going 2nd hand.

Hi guys,

Current PC spec:

What display resolution and refresh rate are you using? What graphic settings do you prefer? What is your current framerate?

tommyarra

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Hi guys,

Apologies for the late reply. Crazy busy with work, very little gaming time 🤢

I have a 3 x 32" 1440 monitors running at 144hz. But I can't achieve that in CoD with my current hardware. (Obviously onfy use 1 for first person shooter games) other 2 left open from browsing / emails etc.

I achieve around 90-110 on average I would say, that's with a fair few settings turned down, to improve fps

I would love to achieve 144 on max settings, but I'm not sure if it's achievable.

Noted all of your points... For the time being I have ordered an upgrade of RAM to 32gb and also a 2nd (bigger - 2TB M.2 drive). Plan would be 2 keep the operating system on my current 500gb M.2 and all other games / files on the larger one.

As for my PSU - it's a super flower 550w platinum king

Still tempted by CPU and GPU upgrades. But they're definitely not a necessity.

Still tempted by CPU and GPU upgrades. But they're definitely not a necessity.

I think your statement there is the summary of the situation. In order to achieve 144fps on max settings at 1440p in CoD MW2/WZ2.0 at max settings, you will need a faster GPU. Something in the neighborhood of an RX 4080or maybe an RX 7900 XTX when they release. Even then, you will need a higher wattage PSU.

In my opinion, (and I finally upgrade from my GTX 1080 Ti [sold in 2021 for more than I paid for it] to an RX 6800 XT last month for $535 to play games in 1440p), is that pc parts simply aren't worth over $1,000 a piece. They're just not. It simply does not add anything to my gaming experience. I had the 1080 Ti when it was pushing the highest framerate around, and I simply did not have any more enjoyment out of a game than I did with a GTX 1070 I previously had. The pc industry will simply have to do without my money on the higher end of CPUs and GPUs. IMO, make mid-range great again. Your RX 5700 XT was a great mid-range card. Meanwhile, Nvidia is trashing the mid-range GPU market with things such as the RTX 3060 8GB model. At least AMD is trying. Sorry for the rant.

Conclusion of my opinion: If you can get consistent 100fps on the game you enjoy at the settings you prefer, you are doing pretty good. If you simply want to spend money to make you happy, then go for the more expensive hardware.