Question Upgrade Options?

Nov 28, 2022
Current PC specs are i5-6600k, 16GB ram, 1060 6GB. Noticing my specs are beginning to struggle on newer titles. For example on warzone 2 or DMZ on the lowest settings possible I'm hitting around 35-40 fps and was thinking maybe it's time to upgrade my CPU? Or should I just go for a whole new build at this point because I'm also experiencing many game crashes across all titles and lots of blue screening.

Nov 28, 2022
If your focus is higher frame rate gaming, you should consider a complete platform refresh. Both your CPU and GPU are getting long in the tooth.

What budget and target performance will you be looking at?

Mainly just trying to hit medium settings and 60 fps on newer games at 1080p. I'm not too sure how much of a budget I should have. Eventually wanna get more into VR but that's quite a while from now since i just have a Samsung odyssey

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice monitor.

1080/60 at medium settings is pretty easy these days.

Assuming you are building your own, would suggest taking a look at something along the lines of i5 (12th/13th gen) or R5 (5xxx) CPU. A 3050 or 6600 should meet those expectations just fine. Fill out with NVME storage for OS, perhaps a larger or recycled storage drive(s) from current rig. Look at 16+ GB of RAM. G Skill Ripjaws are always a good choice there. A decent 550-600W PSU is a sweet spot on pricing.