Upgrade options

nlraley

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I am currently running 8800 GTX Ultras in SLI for my 32" Sony HD LCD television.

I have been looking at upgrading my rig here in the near future and was wandering what would be the best upgrade option with regards to stepping up my gpu.

Will any of the newer cards run at equivalent or better if I go with a single card option for now? Or am I going to have to stick to SLI or Crossfire in order to keep up at my 1920x1080 resolution?

I know alot of them are stacking multiple gpu's on a single card, but I haven't been keeping up with the current hardware out there since I did my last big upgrade.

Any suggestions?

To be honest, I'd imagine your 8800GTX SLI setup does pretty decent @ 1920x1080. If all your games play over 30FPS you're fine. The eye doesn't really see any more than that anyhow.

Ultimately though, it would be nice to get more information on the rest of your components (CPU, Motherboard, RAM) and what games you actually play.

If you wanted to switch to a single card option, and want an upgrade, I'd go for something like the ATI 5850 or 5870 as they are the latest and best options for single card solutions. There are options less than those, but there may not be that much incentive performance wise.

nlraley

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I'm running a:
Q6600 Quad Core Intel Cpu
Evga 680i SLI motherboard
4 GB Ram
2x 8800 GTX Ultra Cards
Watercooled

I am probably going to look at taking out the watercooling as it makes getting into and out of my box a royal pain, and I've been doing that alot to either a motherboard that's about to go or a hard drive. (for some reason I get disk read errors and unplugging both my hard drive and blue ray disk player in and out fixes this issue for a while)

So I was looking at probably gradually upgrading piece by piece until I can build an entire new rig.

I haven't moved back to air b/c I lost the spring screws for my 8800 fan that comes with the card.

So I was looking at options for upgrading the video card b/c I can move things over a bit quicker if I get that issue solved first.

Games are running smoothly, usually above 40-50 frames per second and I play a little bit of everything, mostly MMO's with alot of FPS on the side. I love maxing out the settings though.

I was just wandering if 1 of the new nvidia or ati cards would hold enough beef to compensate for my SLI atm? I know alot of them are sporting 2x the processors on a single card.

When's nvidia's new flagship dx11 card coming out? I might just hold out until then.

You could go with an HD5870. nVidia's new GPU won't be coming out for quite some time, so it's not really worth it.