Question Upgrade or buy new on these specs?

May 17, 2019
Hello.

Thanks for reading, just wanted everyones advice on whether you think I should upgrade or buy a new PC. I bought the below in September 2016 and getting that three year itch. PC specs are:

CPU: A409 - Intel Core i5 6600K
CPU Cooler: B304 - Corsair H100i v2
RAM: C403 - 16GB Corsair 2666mhz
Graphics card: D318 - MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8GB OC Edition
Motherboard: E410 - Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Hard Drive: G412 - Samsung 512GB 850 PRO SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: G103 - 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Case: K322 - Cooler Master Silencio 652S
PSU: K605 - 650W Corsair VS

I run a 2k monitor and like to play on high settings with above 60fps rates.

What do you all think, new cpu/gpu/ram or new pc, would you change the cooler?

Cheers

In what way is your current pc not doing the job for you?
Your 6600K is still a very strong gamer. More so if overclocked.

If you favor fast action games, consider a graphics card upgrade.
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

From a quality point of view, corsair VS is not rated highly.
If you have had no problems, I would not change it out pre-emptively.

If you need a cpu change, you are looking at a new motherboard and a 9th gen intel or ryzen processor.
Intel gives you higher single thread performance, good on sims, mmo and strategy games.
Ryzen gives you more threads which is good for multiplayer games.

We are coming up on new CPUs being released, AMD in the next month or so and possibly Intel later this year. I would wait it out until later this year, and I would upgrade the PSU to something with a longer warranty. That 3 year PSU warranty is about to be up and your system will be at risk.

May 17, 2019
Interesting that you all bring up the PSU, never really though about it. I will try some games with lower settings to see what difference that makes in terms of identifying CPU or GPU being a bit slow.

In terms of why I am thinking about this, games like ANNO 1800, two point hospital and games of that ilk i find to be jittery, I'll have a play and let you know. Cheers all.

If I am not mistaken, such games tend to be single threaded and cpu limited.

Here is another test:
Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.