Upgrade or Clean install

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,
I recently went from W2K to XP pro and noticed that I had used half of my
20GB hdd. I did install programs but very little user files. I do not dual
boot and can not remember if I did a clean install or upgrade. How can I
tell if W2K is still on my machine, set it up to dual boot or just remove
the W2K files not needed to run XP if I desire.
Once again, thanks in advance.
--
Mrich

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

When you installed XP, did get an option to delete a partition and did you
do so?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mrich" <mrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I recently went from W2K to XP pro and noticed that I had used half of my
> 20GB hdd. I did install programs but very little user files. I do not dual
> boot and can not remember if I did a clean install or upgrade. How can I
> tell if W2K is still on my machine, set it up to dual boot or just remove
> the W2K files not needed to run XP if I desire.
> Once again, thanks in advance.
> --
> Mrich

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. Thats the part I dont quite remember. I dont believe I
did bacause I remember very commenting about how easy the install was.

> Hi
>
> When you installed XP, did get an option to delete a partition and did you
> do so?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Mrich" <mrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I recently went from W2K to XP pro and noticed that I had used half of
my
> > 20GB hdd. I did install programs but very little user files. I do not
dual
> > boot and can not remember if I did a clean install or upgrade. How can I
> > tell if W2K is still on my machine, set it up to dual boot or just
remove
> > the W2K files not needed to run XP if I desire.
> > Once again, thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Mrich

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Not deleting a partition would suggest an 'upgrade'. The following articles
by Michael Stevens may jog your memory:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

"Clean Install Windows XP"

> Thanks for the reply. Thats the part I dont quite remember. I dont believe
> did bacause I remember very commenting about how easy the install was.

>> Hi
>>
>> When you installed XP, did get an option to delete a partition and did
>> you
>> do so?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Mrich" <mrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> > I recently went from W2K to XP pro and noticed that I had used half of
> my
>> > 20GB hdd. I did install programs but very little user files. I do not
> dual
>> > boot and can not remember if I did a clean install or upgrade. How can
>> > tell if W2K is still on my machine, set it up to dual boot or just
> remove
>> > the W2K files not needed to run XP if I desire.
>> > Once again, thanks in advance.
>> > --
>> > Mrich

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi again,
I really appreciate your time and help. My original question was how can I
tell if W2K is still on my machine, set it up to dual boot or just remove
the files not needed by XP Pro if I desire.

> Hi
>
> Not deleting a partition would suggest an 'upgrade'. The following
articles
> by Michael Stevens may jog your memory:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> "Clean Install Windows XP"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Mrich" <mrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply. Thats the part I dont quite remember. I dont
believe
> > did bacause I remember very commenting about how easy the install was.
> >
> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> When you installed XP, did get an option to delete a partition and did
> >> you
> >> do so?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Mrich" <mrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > my
> > dual
> > remove

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

If you installed an 'upgrade' (Repair), then the w2k files would have been
overwritten. If you opted for a 'New' (Clean) install then the w2k files
would have been erased. In either case the old w2k files won't be avilable
for a dual boot. You would have to install w2k onto a seperate partition
for that.

--

> Hi again,
> I really appreciate your time and help. My original question was how can I
> tell if W2K is still on my machine, set it up to dual boot or just remove
> the files not needed by XP Pro if I desire.

>> Hi
>>
>> Not deleting a partition would suggest an 'upgrade'. The following
> articles
>> by Michael Stevens may jog your memory:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> "Clean Install Windows XP"
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Mrich" <mrich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the reply. Thats the part I dont quite remember. I dont
> believe
>> > did bacause I remember very commenting about how easy the install was.
>> >
>> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

> of
>> > my
>> > dual
> can
>> > remove

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Outstanding.
Thanks for your time.