[SOLVED] Upgrade or just save and buy new?

trickyricky

Commendable
Dec 12, 2017
I'm currently using a pre-built system that dates back to late 2012 which i have upgraded over time and was wondering whether it at all would be worth to continue to pocket money into getting it to a decent quality or scrapping and starting fresh

I'll post specs below

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8B75-M LX (LGA1155)
Graphics
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 (SATA)
223GB KINGSTON SA400S37240G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Solution
Really depends what you want to achieve. You can only go so far on a dated platform like that.
Beyond a CPU upgrade to an i7 and (potentially) a GPU upgrade, there's not a whole lot you can do -- so any "upgrade" has to be considered vs the cost.

An i7-3770, for example) can be had for ~$50 USD most of the time and remains a solid CPU for gaming these days, although it is starting to show it's age.
Is it a great choice? No. But given you already have the platform and could recoup probably $20 from selling the 3330 used, a $30 investment isn't so bad if it'll net you performance gains.

A GPU upgrade can always be carried forward, so there's no real "risk" there.... assuming you buy with any eye on an upgrade'. You could...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really depends what you want to achieve. You can only go so far on a dated platform like that.
Beyond a CPU upgrade to an i7 and (potentially) a GPU upgrade, there's not a whole lot you can do -- so any "upgrade" has to be considered vs the cost.

An i7-3770, for example) can be had for ~$50 USD most of the time and remains a solid CPU for gaming these days, although it is starting to show it's age.
Is it a great choice? No. But given you already have the platform and could recoup probably $20 from selling the 3330 used, a $30 investment isn't so bad if it'll net you performance gains.

A GPU upgrade can always be carried forward, so there's no real "risk" there.... assuming you buy with any eye on an upgrade'. You could pair a 2080TI (example) with an i5-3330... you're not going to max out the GPU at this stage, paired with an older quad-core, but if you were upgrading the platform in a month or two, it would serve you well in the upgrade.

If you had no intention of upgrading the platform anytime soon, I'd be confident enough pairing something like a 1650Super with an i5-3330 (although it will still hold the GPU back in some instances), or a 2060Super with an i7-3770.

Even the fastest CPU you can put in that motherboard is very slow by today's standards.

An i7-3770 is not "slow". How viable it is to spend money on is debatable, but it's not "slow".
A 3770 should performance roughly in the same ballpark as a Ryzen5 1600 in titles that will not exceed 8threads (all else being equal).

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Things like upgrading storage and the video card aren't out of the question - plus, those are parts you can carry over to a new build.

16 GB of RAM isn't anything to complain about, so you're good there.

You can get an i7-3770, for example, to upgrade it, if you can find one relatively inexpensively. In my experience, people seem to want more for them than a modern equivalent would go for, on the hopes that someone will pay more as long as it's less than the cost of a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

TRENDING THREADS