Upgrade or rebuild?

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
So before i get started, these are my current specs.

CPU: i7-3820
MotherBoard: ASUS ROG Rampage IV Gene
RAM: 16Gs DDR3 1600hz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB
Case: NZXT Phantom (Red) 410 Series

These specs work for gaming on high settings and it can stream but during stream(twitch, obs or x-split) it doesn't look that good to me even after optimizing what i can and having a good connection (70down 6up) non-partnered but moving on i would like to multi-task as well and i can only do so much with this cpu. So where im stuck is what would be a good upgrade for cpu and gpu for current set up, or should i build around a ryzen 5 1600 or 1700 and get a good gpu which of course will cost me more but wouldn't mind it being future proof at least for another few years. Main purpose is to game, stream and use video and photo editing software and for budget maybe $500-$700 tops. Still thinking about this but perhaps better minds can help me decide. Thank you.

Over all. The system is pretty good. The board support PCI 3.0 and can OC. Support quad channel ram etc...

My main concerns is that the max speed ram it can support is 2400mhz and you are kind of limited with the CPUs you can install due to the it being LG2011 compatible. Some of those CPU are pretty expensive, like the i7-4930k is $778 dollars and that is the cheapest I see on newegg currently. (I'm sure you can find CPU upgrades cheaper elsewhere).

Just because that, I would recommend as you suspected. Ryzens sound like a good idea with that budget.

May consider a bundle pack. It may help save a little on total cost. Something like this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3442148

You might be able to downgrade and get away with the 1600 instead. But if you can afford it I'd suggest the 1700 as those extra cores will come in handy in the near future when games start utilizing muti-threading better and it will help with other muti-task related functions, like streaming.

Miyconst

Honorable
The decision is really up to your wallet.

I currently own two systems i7-4930k @ 4.5Ghz + gtx 1070 and Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9Ghz + RX 580x2. Both of the systems are mainly used for software development, but gaming, streaming, and video editing is also included.

Although i7-4930k is very comparable to Ryzen 7 1700x on paper, I can feel the difference when switching from one machine to another. Ryzen is sharper, smoother when gaming, faster when using software development tools, and has way better capabilities for streaming online.

If you are very tight on budget, I would invest in a good graphics card such as Vega 56 or GTX 1070, and look for used i7-4930k on Ebay, those can be found as low as 200$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Intel-Core-i7-4930K-3-4GHz-Six-Core-Processor-FREE-Ship-/162593091406

Otherwise build a new solid system with Ryzen 7 1700 (not X), 3000 MHz RAM, and of course a decent GPU.

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Maybe going with the ryzen build might be a bit more worth it in the long run instead of buying what i can use now and possibly struggle later on. Btw, how did u find that combo? i never could find a way to do it like you did?

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

if i would go with the i7-4930K, how much longer would it able to keep up with current games or in this case, video editing and streaming for?

I believe going with a new build is a better choice.

If you just go to newegg.com and type in "Ryzen Bundle" you will see the bundles in the search results. They have quite a few different ones you can choose from if the one I linked wasn't to your liking.

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

I get way more searches with "ryzen bundle" and for some reason it won't narrow it down to just Ryzen 7 since R3s still show up grrr. Thanks for the input and with the whole mining scenario going on, what would be the right price to get either the GTX 1060 or 1070 since Vega56 costs more than i would like to spend?

Miyconst

Honorable

This really depends on how intensive you will use the CPU, but I would say for 1-3 years it will be good.

Still, as many others say, investing into a Ryzen system is a much better value. The i7-4930k is/was a great chip, but it starts to show it's age, for example I can't use it with some of my tools because it lacks AVX instructions.

Buying used staff is also a risk and never as pleasant as buying new boxed items.

I would not pay more than 300$ for GTX 1060, and not more than 500$ for GTX 1070, also take a look at GTX 1080, during the mining craze some of the shops are selling GTX 1070 for almost as much as GTX 1080.

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Mainly the use will be gaming and streaming which will be pretty often so i guess a new build would be best. Would it be best as well to wait until the new vega cards come out and see if any price drops happen for any of the GTX 10 series cards?

Miyconst

Honorable

I think it would be the best possible option. The mining craze is slowing going down, and I have already seen ADs where people sell mining farms, 20+ RX 580 or GTX 1070 GPUs.

This means that the second hand market will be flooded with "after-mining" GPUs. Even if you aren't interesting in buying one of such, it will affect the prices for the new GPUs for sure.

And the Vega 56 does not seem to be that expensive, unless it's again wiped out by the miners.

Shinigami187

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Gotcha will wait and see what happens then. Thank you for your time and responses.