Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
CPU-Intel Core i5-4670K
GPU-AMD HD 7870
SSD-Kingston A400 240GB
HDD-WD Black 1TB (2013)
RAM-G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 1866 C10 1x8GB
MBD-Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO ( ROG )
COOLER MASTER 500W. SINGLE 6 PIN CONNECTOR.
CORSAIR 500R CABINET
should i sell it or upgrade
if upgrade what parts and i want a budget 4k monitor (IPS)

ITS 5 YEAR OLD BUILD . WANT to upgrade with 2020 and for future ( medium budget )

Solution

If this is a gaming machine, I imagine you'd want a better graphics card and a better CPU to maintain better FPS. A meaningful upgrade would entail a 4790k processor and probably another 8GB RAM module to enable dual channel memory operation. In the US market this is about $220. Depending on your choice of your GPU, you might need a new power supply. I am not including a graphics card cost because this part is transferable to the next build. If you can stick with this upgrade for a couple of more years, it might be worth it because it is an easy upgrade now, and 4790k has a solid single core performance especially if you are willing to overclock it. Whatever you have saved up towards a new system...

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

If this is a gaming machine, I imagine you'd want a better graphics card and a better CPU to maintain better FPS. A meaningful upgrade would entail a 4790k processor and probably another 8GB RAM module to enable dual channel memory operation. In the US market this is about $220. Depending on your choice of your GPU, you might need a new power supply. I am not including a graphics card cost because this part is transferable to the next build. If you can stick with this upgrade for a couple of more years, it might be worth it because it is an easy upgrade now, and 4790k has a solid single core performance especially if you are willing to overclock it. Whatever you have saved up towards a new system will put you into a DDR5 platform that will be light years ahead of this system. On the other hand, if your goal is to buy something like GTX 3080, and you are ready for a modern machine, I'd just sell it now. This is coming from a guy who games on 3770k with GTX 1070ti.

Solution

veeranna

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
If this is a gaming machine, I imagine you'd want a better graphics card and a better CPU to maintain better FPS. A meaningful upgrade would entail a 4790k processor and probably another 8GB RAM module to enable dual channel memory operation. In the US market this is about $220. Depending on your choice of your GPU, you might need a new power supply. I am not including a graphics card cost because this part is transferable to the next build. If you can stick with this upgrade for a couple of more years, it might be worth it because it is an easy upgrade now, and 4790k has a solid single core performance especially if you are willing to overclock it. Whatever you have saved up towards a new system will put you into a DDR5 platform that will be light years ahead of this system. On the other hand, if your goal is to buy something like GTX 3080, and you are ready for a modern machine, I'd just sell it now. This is coming from a guy who games on 3770k with GTX 1070ti.
Thanks for your time and suggestions I'm thinking of 4k setup with minimum possible spend