Upgrade path AM2+ mobo

andregoujon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Hello,
Currently I'm very satisfied with my actual PC. It have some older and newer pieces like the SSD.
I want to buy the same RAM kit I own to add a total of 8 GB RAM. I want to do this because I want to disable page file and with Premiere CS5 or VMware sometimes 4 GB is almost used.
Do you think is it wort to spend in that considering that the price of kit is 60 dollars?
Much more later I plan to replace PSU and GPU and then to DDR3 and AM3+ (Bulldozer). What do you think about this upgrade path?
Currently I don't have the money to upgrade my system to DDR3 and I consider it not necessary nor worth the extra performance in that part. I think that a new PSU + GPU can boost my game experience much more than DDR3 for the moment with Phenom II.

-ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
-Phenom II X4 965 @3712 NB @2400 120w stock v
-4 GB DDR2 1066 Kingston HyperX @800 5-5-5-15 T1 1,9V
-ASUS EAH 5770 CuCore
-Samsung SSD 470 64 GB
-1 TB Seagate HDD
-160 GB Seagate HDD
-TSST DVDRW writer
-Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550w
-Windows 7 SP1 x64

andregoujon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies.
At about October I'll buy the 4 GB kit.
With a better CPU cooler I for sure get 4 GHZ as I can boot and load completely Windows 7 at that speed with stock voltage. I think that a little more voltage can do the trick but I've the stock cooler and I also have my doubt about my PSU. It's about 4 years old (from my first system Athlon 64 X2) and it's working hard enough with a system like mine considering it's a PSU from 2007 to try a higher OC even if I buy a new cooler.
Currently I've Kingston DDR2 1066 that are supossed to work at 2,3V. At that speed my system was a little unstable. Finally I conclued (with the help of many people) that the problem is that DDR2 memories like that need at least a 600-650W PSU.
As PSU are quite expensive here, I prefer to run these memories at 800 with 1,9V.
In few words, my next major upgrade will be a PSU before Bulldozer or GPU. For the moment, patience until I can get my 4 GB kit.
I read in tom's hardware that 8 GB+ RAM is good and no overkiller.