[SOLVED] Upgrade Path for System from last decade?

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
I was just wondering what you fellas would suggest in terms of an upgrade path for my first PC I built around ~2012.

Specs;
Intel i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3801 Mhz, 4 cores
AMD Sapphire Radeon 7950HD GPU
Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H Motherboard
8GB Mushkin RAM ( 2x4 sticks)
1TB HDD (used to store games)
120GB Samsung EVO SSD (Windows 10 installed on this)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan
600W Bronze Seasonic PSU

I recently upgraded my old NZXT full-tower to a much more manageable NZXT H510 mid-tower.

I could possibly spend a couple $100 toward upgrades for the system, but I am not entirely sure what would get me the best bang for my buck. I assume my best options are likely to be a better graphics card, or an upgraded MOBO in order to upgrade my RAM since it's only DDR3.

Thoughts?

If my only path is a graphics card, I was thinking of finding a used AMD Sapphire Nitro RX 570?

Solution
The bang/buck ratio of the Ryzen 5 3600 is pretty compelling...

It is a whole lot of processor for around $180.

Yes it is, and that's what I was alluding to earlier. Yes, your current rig is getting a bit dated but with a good gpu it will do for another few months.

In the last month we saw a couple of sales on Ryzen's that were really good deals. But the issue has been either an expensive x570 "enthusiast" level or the B450 motherboards. Yesterday gave us the first glimpse of OEM B550 motherboards. This is what's been missing when trying to make a decision on the AMD platform.

The 550's should be far more affordable than the x570's. Hopefully the 550 pricing won't be too far off from the 450's. The x570 is overkill as all...

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
You can get 4 more threads with an i7, but there's not much point. After all, the basic i3 now ships with 4c/4t, and it's rumored the next gen will also get HyperThreading.
It's likely the time to consider a new platform. Most of your current components can be reused.

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
You can get 4 more threads with an i7, but there's not much point. After all, the basic i3 now ships with 4c/4t, and it's rumored the next gen will also get HyperThreading.
It's likely the time to consider a new platform. Most of your current components can be reused.

Yeah, I would likely move from Intel to the AMD side. Which Ryzen CPU are best for budget at this point?

The bang/buck ratio of the Ryzen 5 3600 is pretty compelling...

It is a whole lot of processor for around $180.

Yes it is, and that's what I was alluding to earlier. Yes, your current rig is getting a bit dated but with a good gpu it will do for another few months.

In the last month we saw a couple of sales on Ryzen's that were really good deals. But the issue has been either an expensive x570 "enthusiast" level or the B450 motherboards. Yesterday gave us the first glimpse of OEM B550 motherboards. This is what's been missing when trying to make a decision on the AMD platform.

The 550's should be far more affordable than the x570's. Hopefully the 550 pricing won't be too far off from the 450's. The x570 is overkill as all that bandwidth is pretty pointless right now, and yes I have an x570.

And then the 4000's will come out later this year. All of this new tech typically drives the price down on the previous generation. It's a win win for the consumer.

And not only that, new gpu's are coming too. Also should drive pricing down on the current products.

Exciting times to build a great pc.

Solution

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013

The 550's should be far more affordable than the x570's. Hopefully the 550 pricing won't be too far off from the 450's. The x570 is overkill as all that bandwidth is pretty pointless right now, and yes I have an x570.

And then the 4000's will come out later this year. All of this new tech typically drives the price down on the previous generation. It's a win win for the consumer.

And not only that, new gpu's are coming too. Also should drive pricing down on the current products.

Exciting times to build a great pc.
I was thinking an upgrade to the GPU could be worth it for me, honestly. The old Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 still runs games fine, but it does limit my FPS in such things as R6:Siege. I am seeing some newer (used) GPU on my local online trade for around $50. MSI Radeon HD 7970 Frozrpower....it looks like it would be a nice little bump for only $50. Any other options you could think of?

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I was thinking an upgrade to the GPU could be worth it for me, honestly. The old Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 still runs games fine, but it does limit my FPS in such things as R6:Siege. I am seeing some newer (used) GPU on my local online trade for around $50. MSI Radeon HD 7970 Frozrpower....it looks like it would be a nice little bump for only $50. Any other options you could think of?
Depending on your local market, for $80-100 you can find and RX 570/580 (even 8gb if you are lucky), likely even the 1060 6gb (less power hungly).
$50 for the 7970 seems reasonable enough, though it needs a lot of juice. Also, it's likely close to the end of life (first released 9 years ago).

JoshTheG

Distinguished
May 16, 2013
Depending on your local market, for $80-100 you can find and RX 570/580 (even 8gb if you are lucky), likely even the 1060 6gb (less power hungly).
$50 for the 7970 seems reasonable enough, though it needs a lot of juice. Also, it's likely close to the end of life (first released 9 years ago).
Fair enough, I guess the newer GPU are more sophisticated and require a bit less power. I believe my PSU would be fine to handle some of these old cards anyways. I am going to look around for an RX 570 or RX 580 and see if I can't find one for a good price.