Question Upgrade path going forward

So I’ll start out by saying I realize I’m splitting hairs here. I have this current pc

5900x
AsRock ab350 pro 4
I have an Arctic cooling freezer 2 240mm on the way
32gb(4x8gb) gskill trident z 3200
Msi mech 6700xt
240gb Samsung 960 evo
2 1tb sata ssd drives
1 2tb ssd
Corsair rmx 850 watt power supply
Cooler master mb511 mesh front case
Gigabyte m32qc 1440p 165hz monitor

I’ve had the upgrade itch lately. I usually get some money at Christmas, my birthday is 5 days after also. With the new cpus and boards starting to be released, of course it goes through my mind whether or not I should consider upgrading to a new cpu and platform, but on the other hand the 5900x is plenty strong still. Should I consider saving up for a better gpu in a few months or simply be happy with where it’s at? Thoughts? Again I realize that my system is not in bad shape at all and I’m probably splitting hairs but just asking.

So I’ll start out by saying I realize I’m splitting hairs here. I have this current pc

5900x
AsRock ab350 pro 4
I have an Arctic cooling freezer 2 240mm on the way
32gb(4x8gb) gskill trident z 3200
Msi mech 6700xt
240gb Samsung 960 evo
2 1tb sata ssd drives
1 2tb ssd
Corsair rmx 850 watt power supply
Cooler master mb511 mesh front case
Gigabyte m32qc 1440p 165hz monitor

I’ve had the upgrade itch lately. I usually get some money at Christmas, my birthday is 5 days after also. With the new cpus and boards starting to be released, of course it goes through my mind whether or not I should consider upgrading to a new cpu and platform, but on the other hand the 5900x is plenty strong still. Should I consider saving up for a better gpu in a few months or simply be happy with where it’s at? Thoughts? Again I realize that my system is not in bad shape at all and I’m probably splitting hairs but just asking.
As I see it, your weak link is b350 MB which can cause 5900 x not to be able to get fullest possible performance also due to lack of BIOS options, also loosing on some GPU and NVME performance due to lack of PCIe V4.
A nice. b550 MB would solve all of that which is not great expense and give you another year or two until situation with new platforms clear enough

Reactions: Why_Me

logainofhades

Titan
I would wait until the 3d cache AM5 chips come out, and then decide. Your rig isn't that bad. I doubt the board is holding you back much. Hardware unboxed was using the 5800x3d, in a B350 Tomahawk, and saw little to no performance difference vs their typical x570 setup.

Thanks for the opinions. I did have a few issues when I switched to 1440p and my cpu started having to work harder so I don’t know if the vrms on the board are having issues or the cpu was pulling too much for my cooler. But was talking to a friend and he showed me that on eBay, Arctic cooling is selling 240mm b stock coolers for a pretty reasonable price. They are open box but come with a 6 year warranty and have a small vrm fan. So I ended up ordering one. I figure it should help things now and if I go am5 or even Intel I can carry it over.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540468814...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The real value one they have is this one but they might have been out when I ordered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540771868...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But they also had these kind.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3541065452...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

From what I can see they appear to be sold by Arctic cooling themselves, the pdf invoice I got looked like it was pretty official from them and the listing claims it still has the 6 year warranty. So I’ll give the one a shot and see how it does.

Right now my Samsung 960 evo is plenty fast. The rest of the ssd drives I've got for games/storage are sata so not too worried about those. Yeah gpu would be a thing, but most of the stuff I've seen looks like they within just a few % points for now. After thinking of it I think I'll stay with what I've got for the time being. Of course the new amd gpus are being revealed soon, so if they have a deal for say 500 on something equivalent to a 6900xt, then I might consider updating there.

In what way is your current system lacking?
I understand that when you have the itch, you need to scratch it.

If you can articulate what you now lack, and you have the budget, go for it.
But, there is always something new on the horizon.
Intel 13th gen is a very nice upgrade on 12th gen. But there will be a revolution on gen 14 in a year or so.

AMD now has the next gen out, which is comparable to Intel 13th gen.
But since DDR5 is new an there is a new platform, I expect to see some new glitches.

Perhaps you could consider a monitor upgrade to a bigger/wider high resolution unit.

Yeah, I'm actually coming to the conclusion that my system is good as is and maybe save my money for when a good deal drops. Because the more I think about it, it's pretty balanced and I'm probably not going to get much better performance without dropping a good amount of money. I did get a good deal on an artic freezer 2 240mm aio, so I'll install that which should allow the 5900x to boost up a bit more and then just let it run as is. I typically get a little money at the holidays and my birthday, so if some great deal comes out I may jump on it. However the more I think about it, it's probably good for another year anyway. On the monitor, I'm actually good on that, I've got a 32 inch 1440p 165hz curved gigabyte monitor so that should hold me for a while.