Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I currently have a fx6300 I had this rig since 2015 I'm think about upgrading
To intel should I go for skylake i3
And buy new ram n gpu?
Or buy an i5 4460
And a new gpu ?

Solution
r9 270x is an okay card, if you want better frames then yes a 1050 TI or 470 would be good to do, if you want less power draw then go with a 1050 TI if you want about 10% extra performance but don't care about power draw then go with a rx 470.

Also, go with what you think is best for you aka upgrading to haswell when kabylake is right around the corner, its fine people may think it could be outdated but it's truly not. kabylake will cost a bit extra compared to what you are thinking of doing.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
If you want to upgrade to skylake you need to buy a new motherboard specifically a LGA 1151 socket motherboard. fx6300 to i3-6100 is about a equal trade I'd say since 6300 is 6 cores and i3-6100 is a dual core with hyperthreading almost making it a quad core with good IPC where as the fx6300's IPC is garbage. and there is always the upgrade path to an i5-6600k or a i7-6700k, i'd recommend i7 down the line or now if you can afford it. if not an i3-6100 will do fine. but with a new motherboard comes needing DDR4 Ram if you go with lga 1151 and if you want a new GPU I can't recommend anything with out a certain price range.

I agree, there is no reason to buy Skylake at this point, you have Intel's new chips right around the corner. Might as well upgrade to the latest and greatest as it's not going to cost you anymore, at least not anything worth talking about.

Saving some more money until you can go I5 would be a better plan though.

It is, but the new chips will be out very soon, and will be essentially the same price assuming going off how things have always been.

So why buy something already dated when the new 270 motherboards and CPUs will be out in any day now? If this stuff was 6 months off, I'd say go Skylake, but this stuff should be out with in the next month or so?

Kavinqt

Distinguished

Idk, they said it would be ready in 2016 and it's still not out, maybe they are waiting for Zen to be released to try and fight back against this hyped up thing.

Fernando_29

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
it's just if I buy i5 haswell I get to keep my ram
And all I have to do is just buy a motherboard and CPU
I have a r9 270x is it worth upgrading to gtx 1050ti or 470?

Kavinqt

Distinguished
r9 270x is an okay card, if you want better frames then yes a 1050 TI or 470 would be good to do, if you want less power draw then go with a 1050 TI if you want about 10% extra performance but don't care about power draw then go with a rx 470.

Also, go with what you think is best for you aka upgrading to haswell when kabylake is right around the corner, its fine people may think it could be outdated but it's truly not. kabylake will cost a bit extra compared to what you are thinking of doing.

Solution

Kavinqt

Distinguished

That's a fine CPU for gaming. of course no hyperthreading makes it weak if you want to game and use skype web browse etc at the same time but if you plan on only gaming on it, that cpu will do just fine.