Question Upgrade PC for Gaming/VideoEditing/Streaming

Buki

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm here because I need a bit a help with an upgrade I'm planning to do.

The PC is used for:
  1. Gaming (PUBG, LoL, RL, etc.)
  2. Video Editing (Premiere Pro, After Effects)
  3. Streaming (I'm new here, OBS / Slobs, 720p*60fps).
Currently I have:
  • i5 7600k + Hyper 212 EVO (not OCed, never really liked doing it)
  • GA z270xp-sli
  • GA 1080ti
  • DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200)
  • ViewSonic GSync 1440p * 144hz.
So:
  1. Probably the i5 is doing a bottleneck here, isn't it? But just for gaming.. it goes well, can almost always play at 1440*144 without issues.
  2. Editing.. could take it's time, but it's doable.
  3. Gaming + Streaming.. that's the issue. Obviously the only option is to use NVENC. Even so, the cpu goes to almost 100% usage and in most games I have to go back to 60fps.
Was thinking on jumping to AMD.. like an 2700 (or since yesterday, maybe wait for the 3700/3800).
So, a few questions:
  1. I don't really like OCing, is the X variant really worth it? Right now 2700 is $209 vs $2700x at $279.. that's 25% less!
  2. About mobo.. how should I choose? 3xx? 4xx? (5xx if I go for the 3xxx?). And B? X? As I'm not OCing, probably a B450/B550 should be on pair with the rest?
  3. Memos? Would I need to upgrade them too?
  4. With that change, will something still bottleneckit? I would definitely see an improvement in the 3 areas, but dunno if I still have something too weak/strong there.
Thanks!

InvalidError

Titan
  1. With that change, will something still bottleneckit? I would definitely see an improvement in the 3 areas, but dunno if I still have something too weak/strong there.
No matter what you upgrade to, there always is a bottleneck somewhere. What changes is the performance level at which it happens. How much performance you can be bothered with before calling it more than good enough to declare "no bottleneck" is a highly subjective thing, you'll have to decide that one for yourself by sifting through applicable charts once they become available.

As for motherboards, there won't be B5xx models at launch for the Ryzen 3k, you'll have to wait some number of months for those.

Buki

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
No matter what you upgrade to, there always is a bottleneck somewhere. What changes is the performance level at which it happens. How much performance you can be bothered with before calling it more than good enough to declare "no bottleneck" is a highly subjective thing, you'll have to decide that one for yourself by sifting through applicable charts once they become available.

As for motherboards, there won't be B5xx models at launch for the Ryzen 3k, you'll have to wait some number of months for those.

That's a really good answer haha. I'll surely be better than now.. hope it's enough for what I like to do.

Wow! Didn't know that.. but you could use a 3xxx with a b4xx mobo, isn't it? I'll need to read a lot more about motherboards then, because I'm really lost about advantages and what they offer.