Upgrade pc or buy new one?

filicheez

Reputable
May 10, 2017
I just got an old dell computer for free, and was wondering if i would be better off putting a new psu and ram in it or buying a whole new system. I also dont know if the motherboard will let me overclock the intel core 2 duo 6600 @2.4Mz. would this system (with 8gb of ddr2 ram and a EVGA GTX 580 ds) be a decent enough gaming rig?

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The Core2Duo will hold you back because that is a 10 year old CPU now. I would save some money on a new system.

If you have NO money for a totally new system, I would get the PSU and video card first. 1. Make sure the video card fits and 2. Dell uses aproprietary ATX plug inside so you will need to buy a converter. They are a few bucks. Since these 2 items are transferable to a new system, you won't be wasting your money. I wouldn't put more memory in it because DDR2 is no longer used.

filicheez

Reputable
May 10, 2017
where would i find one of those dell atx converters? also, if i was to be using it for a few months would 4gb(the amount i have) of ddr2 ram be enough for a bit of gaming?

filicheez

Reputable
May 10, 2017

i dont know to be honest, i cant find any information on the motherboard anywhere

TRENDING THREADS