[SOLVED] Upgrade PC to Use as CentOS Server ?

q8xbox360

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
Hello Friends,

Currently I have Some Sites and One Mobile App
Hosted in Godaddy.com Shared Business Hosting Established Plan:
  • 4 Virtually Allocated CPU Core
  • 16GB RAM
  • 240GB Storage
Everything works fine but i want to turn my own PC into CentOS Server taking advantage of My Fiber Optic High Speed Internet Connection which currenlty have so i need to upgrade my PC to match the Basic Specifications base on current Hosting Specifications Also make a count that i need USE 20TB HDD include One Samsung 970 PRO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe So i need a Recommendation to Upgrade the PC Base on those Specifications ( Preferable that this Specifications can be used as NAS System too ).

My Current Computer Specifications:
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Hero (Intel Z170)
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
  • Memory X 4:
* Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB Kit 3000MHz DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
* G-Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
  • NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5GB GDDR5
  • Hard Disk X 5:
* Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB
* Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 3TB
* Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 2TB
* Western Digital Black WD3003FZEX-00Z4Sa0 3TB
* Western Digital Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive WD80EFZX
  • Corsair AX760 ATX
  • Obsidian Series™ 650D Mid-Tower Case

Solution
OK, yes.
An averagly good PC can probably handle that.

1 drive for the OS and possibly db engine. Probably an SSD.
Other HDD's for however much drive space you need.

But hosting a webserver with "50k active users " is much more than just the specific box of parts.
Not really sure what you are asking here, you say you want to match the hosting specs you have from Godaddy but there is no way to know what that speed is based on what you provided. 4 virtual CPU cores, how fast are they?

Your system is probably easily as fast as what you are getting from Godaddy. All you need to do is to add more storage, which is simply buy enough large disk to reach the storage you need.

USAFRet

Titan
Self hosting at home brings serious security implications, vs what GoDaddy provides.

"( Preferable that this Specifications can be used as NAS System too ). "
This adds yet another level of "security problem". Having your local personal storage on the same box as a webserver...I would not do.

q8xbox360

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
Ok, This is what i'm thinking now let me focus on just the hardware itself not the security on other things so i would like to use DUAL CPU Processor which include One Samsung 970 PRO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe and this will required to change both Motherboard & CPU Also it is required New CPU Cooler and Last thing Is this Case i have is good to add HDD or SSD or need a replacment. As for more Storage Which HDD type will provide the best performance ?

q8xbox360

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
I'm not expert on those things but what i can say is a basic system can fit 6TB bandwidth with average of 50k active users as for software since i will be using CentOS 7 i will ne to install cPanel on it which allow me to use MySQL database and it will be very good if i would be able to use technology like Node.js, Memcached, Nginx, Redis & Hadoop.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, yes.
An averagly good PC can probably handle that.

1 drive for the OS and possibly db engine. Probably an SSD.
Other HDD's for however much drive space you need.

But hosting a webserver with "50k active users " is much more than just the specific box of parts.

Solution

q8xbox360

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
Yes, really understand that i may need something like Gigabyte DO60-MR0 & Gigabyte R282-Z93 so just will do a basic things which take advantage for those things in order to upgrade my pc. Could provide me a specification base on those things we talk about ? Also you said i need SSD is Samsung 970 PRO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe will proper choice and which type of HDD should i pick WD Black, Purple, Red or Gold ?

Make a count that i want to use Dual CPU motherboard which one should i buy ? Also make a count for future to upgrade RAM for higher speed.