Question Upgrade PC

Dec 10, 2019
Hi, i built this PC with some online help, since i don't understand much about it. I'm looking to spend about 200-320 euros(320USD) on it for an upgrade.Since i have been having some low fps problems.
Mostly for gaming, 1920x1080 .
Games like Apex legends, cod, battlefield. Doesn't need to play on max settings, only low/medium. Just need to get max fps i can, for performance.

Current Rig

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670 Processor 6M Cache up to 3.80 GHz
Memory: GeIL Evo Veloce 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-28
Motherboard:MSI B85-G43
Storage: Samsung 840 Series SSD 120GB SATA3
Storage: Toshiba 1 TB 3.5'' SATA3 7200RPM
Video Card: Palit GeForce® GTX 770 JETSTREAM 2048MB GDDR5
Case: ZALMAN Z11 PLUS
Power Supply: XFX PRO SERIES 550W Core Edition
Optical Drive: LG DVD+/ -RW 24X SuperMulti Securdisc Sata
Operating System: Windows 10
Monitor: Asus Led 23'' Full HD DVI VS238N
Keyboard:Ozone Strike Mechanical Gaming Keyboard PT
Mouse:Steelseries Kana Black
Speakers:CREATIVE INSPIRE A220

Last edited:
Hey there,

Well, the biggest bump in FPS will be from a GPU upgrade. Something like this :
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $202.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 14:00 EST-0500

Will max out all your games at pretty high/ultra settings at 1080p.

However, there are some caveats. Your CPU in some of those games is actually a limiting factor also. It has 4 cores and 4 threads. Specially for the likes of BF games, 4c/4t CPU's are found wanting.

Additionally, you have 8gbs of ram. There are some games, again BF series and others use upwards of 8gbs system ram at 1080p.

Both the CPU and ram issue will play apart in dropped FPS, stuttering etc. Your system has reached it's limit for modern AAA gaming.

As I said though, the biggest jump in FPS will come from the GPU. Upgrading the CPU/Ram takes a way a system bottleneck, which when replaced, may yield even more FPS from the GPU.

If I were you, Id make this upgrade the last one for your system. The good thing though is you could carry a lot of parts to a new system, and with just an extra 200-300$ you could get a new CPU/Mobo/Ram, along with the RX590 and have a pretty kickass gaming 1080p system.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€29.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card (€169.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €299.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 20:13 CET+0100

Going with the RX 580 will give you a large performance increase over the 770. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1868?vs=1768 However, it might be worth while to wait and see what benchmarks of the RX 5500XT show before adding a GPU. Adding another 8GB of RAM will help as well. I made an assumption that you have a single 8GB stick, but if it is a 2x4GB kit then you would need to add another one like that. The PSU would be an added bonus. It would bring a modern PSU to your system that you could reuse for the next decade when you decided to upgrade the CPU.

For 1080p I think a GTX 1060 (or something similar "GTX 1660" as far as speed goes) would work well with your CPU.

I'd also go to 16 GB with the memory.

Yeah, i've got a 1060 6gb, and game at 1080p 75hz, it pretty much maxes most games at 75hz/fps, but not all. The deal on the RX590 is so good, and not only would it max out nearly all games at 1080p, it's pretty decent at 1440p too. So if the OP ever moves up in monitors, and as suggested might migrate to a new base system, then the RX590 at that price is pretty good.

Reactions: OrlandoStyler
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card (€169.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Going with the RX 580 will give you a large performance increase over the 770. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1868?vs=1768 However, it might be worth while to wait and see what benchmarks of the RX 5500XT show before adding a GPU. Adding another 8GB of RAM will help as well. I made an assumption that you have a single 8GB stick, but if it is a 2x4GB kit then you would need to add another one like that. The PSU would be an added bonus. It would bring a modern PSU to your system that you could reuse for the next decade when you decided to upgrade the CPU.

Some good choices in there for an upgrade. But mixing 2 different types of ram is not a great idea. They may not work together. It's always advised, and best practise to have a matched kit for compatibility and best performance. I'm not saying they wouldn't work together, only that they may not, and could require a lot of tinkering around to get them to work together.

logainofhades

Titan
That budget would get you a 1660ti.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card (€305.99 @ Alternate)
Total: €305.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 20:24 CET+0100

To help alleviate the potential bottleneck, due to you having a 4c/4t CPU, you could possibly swap your CPU for a 4th gen i7, or a Xeon E3 1230v3, or better.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B85-G43-GAMING#support-cpu

Some good choices in there for an upgrade. But mixing 2 different types of ram is not a great idea. They may not work together. It's always advised, and best practise to have a matched kit for compatibility and best performance. I'm not saying they wouldn't work together, only that they may not, and could require a lot of tinkering around to get them to work together.
I totally agree with the mixing and matching of the RAM, I was just trying to fit it into a budget and couldn't find the same as the original RAM. I was lucky with my desktop in that the different brands worked fine without any issues.

Dec 10, 2019
Hey there,

Well, the biggest bump in FPS will be from a GPU upgrade. Something like this :
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $202.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 14:00 EST-0500

Will max out all your games at pretty high/ultra settings at 1080p.

However, there are some caveats. Your CPU in some of those games is actually a limiting factor also. It has 4 cores and 4 threads. Specially for the likes of BF games, 4c/4t CPU's are found wanting.

Additionally, you have 8gbs of ram. There are some games, again BF series and others use upwards of 8gbs system ram at 1080p.

Both the CPU and ram issue will play apart in dropped FPS, stuttering etc. Your system has reached it's limit for modern AAA gaming.

As I said though, the biggest jump in FPS will come from the GPU. Upgrading the CPU/Ram takes a way a system bottleneck, which when replaced, may yield even more FPS from the GPU.

If I were you, Id make this upgrade the last one for your system. The good thing though is you could carry a lot of parts to a new system, and with just an extra 200-300$ you could get a new CPU/Mobo/Ram, along with the RX590 and have a pretty kickass gaming 1080p system.

What you mean with new system? I was planning on upgrading it all. I just can't afford it all now. In 3-4 months time i should be able to spend those extra 200-300. Just wanted to buy the "most important" component(s) now.

For 1080p I think a GTX 1060 (or something similar "GTX 1660" as far as speed goes) would work well with your CPU.

I'd also go to 16 GB with the memory.

The gtx 1660 would be better than the Rx590?

PCPartPicker Part List

Man, i wish i knew how to check if it's a single or 2x4gb :disrelieved:
If i upgrade the CPU that would mean i need a new PSU?
In a couple months time i will do another upgrade. More 200/300.Just can't afford it all now.

What you mean with new system? I was planning on upgrading it all. I just can't afford it all now. In 3-4 months time i should be able to spend those extra 200-300. Just wanted to buy the "most important" component(s) now.

The gtx 1660 would be better than the Rx590?

Man, i wish i knew how to check if it's a single or 2x4gb :disrelieved:
If i upgrade the CPU that would mean i need a new PSU?
In a couple months time i will do another upgrade. More 200/300.Just can't afford it all now.
The GTX 1660 vs RX 590 is a close one. Typically the 1660 is faster by ~5% all while using less power. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2548?vs=2544 However, the RX 590 is more than 10% cheaper than the 1660. That being said you can find a 1660 Super for the same price as the standard 1660 and the 1660 Super is a good 10% faster than the standard 1660. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2544?vs=2542 Again when it comes to the GPU I would wait until the RX 5500/XT is released to see where it performs for a good price/performance view.

If you are going to do another 200/300 Euro upgrade in a couple of months, I wouldn't spend the money on upping your old DDR3 RAM. Instead set aside that extra money for more RAM when you change the CPU/Motherboard/RAM in a couple months.

If you upgrade your CPU you don't need a new PSU, however, by now your PSU is getting older and most likely out of warranty. Going with the Corsair RMx would give you a modern platform PSU, higher efficiency, and be set for another 10 years in the PSU department.

Dec 10, 2019
When it's RX 5500/XT coming out?
I'm trying to check prices.But i do find alot of variants of 1660 Super, like Super Dual Evo,Super TUF,Super gaming OC, Aero ITX, Phoenix OC? Which one would i get?Going around 250-290.
RX90 is 230-250 here.

You think i will be able to get Cpu+RAM+ Mobo+ PSU for 300 in couple months?
Again, sorry for being stupid, but will i have problems if i only change gpu for now, will my cpu or so hold?I can make a money stretch if it needs.

Thank you.

When it's RX 5500/XT coming out?
I'm trying to check prices.But i do find alot of variants of 1660 Super, like Super Dual Evo,Super TUF,Super gaming OC, Aero ITX, Phoenix OC? Which one would i get?Going around 250-290.
RX90 is 230-250 here.

You think i will be able to get Cpu+RAM+ Mobo+ PSU for 300 in couple months?
Again, sorry for being stupid, but will i have problems if i only change gpu for now, will my cpu or so hold?I can make a money stretch if it needs.

Thank you.
The 5500XT is supposed to be released tomorrow.
$300 for motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU would be a stretch for any CPU upgrade worth while over what you have.

Whatever you do, please don't consider GTX-1060. It wasn't good value when it came out because of RX-580 prices and its even worse now with Nvidia's new cards and discounted AMD gpus. If you want older, cheaper stuff go RX-580 or even better Nvidia's newer GTX-1660 supers. The GTX-1660 super gets you almost GTX-1660ti levels of performance for cheaper and is the best value in the mid-range GPU space right now. If you can afford to wait a couple more days, AMD's newer RX-5500/5500XT is launching in the same ballpark as the GTX-1660 series but exact price and performance of this is still pretty cloudy.

TLDR: Get GTX-1660 super for your price range right now. If you can afford to wait a couple days, consider taking a look at RX-5500/5500XT.

Dec 10, 2019
The 5500XT is supposed to be released tomorrow.
$300 for motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU would be a stretch for any CPU upgrade worth while over what you have.

I will wait for tomorrow and see then.
But then again, i believe the correct term is bottleneck. Will my current cpu have problems with the 1660 super/550XT ?

I'm thinking getting ,when i can, something like.And be done with the upgrade.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
G.SKILL SNIPER X 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL19
Corsair RMx

however this is like 480 euros + the gpu.So 700 something.
Would it be fine for couple years?

Whatever you do, please don't consider GTX-1060. It wasn't good value when it came out because of RX-580 prices and its even worse now with Nvidia's new cards and discounted AMD gpus. If you want older, cheaper stuff go RX-580 or even better Nvidia's newer GTX-1660 supers. The GTX-1660 super gets you almost GTX-1660ti levels of performance for cheaper and is the best value in the mid-range GPU space right now. If you can afford to wait a couple more days, AMD's newer RX-5500/5500XT is launching in the same ballpark as the GTX-1660 series but exact price and performance of this is still pretty cloudy.

TLDR: Get GTX-1660 super for your price range right now. If you can afford to wait a couple days, consider taking a look at RX-5500/5500XT.

I will wait.But yes, i'm only considering the 1660 super or the rx-590.But can you help me with the differences between Super ones?Or they all the same?(Dual Evo,Super TUF,Super gaming OC, Aero ITX, Phoenix OC )

I don't own a GTX-1660 super so I can't say I have personal experience with any of them. However, it depends on how much you place on things like overclockability and noise. Often times, more expensive models of the same card are more expensive due to having better cooling capacity, allowing them to overclock to higher speeds and/or produce less noise while maintaining the same performance levels. However if you are more budget conscience, even the cheapest models of the same card should perform roughly the same at stock.

I don't own a GTX-1660 super so I can't say I have personal experience with any of them. However, it depends on how much you place on things like overclockability and noise. Often times, more expensive models of the same card are more expensive due to having better cooling capacity, allowing them to overclock to higher speeds and/or produce less noise while maintaining the same performance levels. However if you are more budget conscience, even the cheapest models of the same card should perform roughly the same at stock.

That's exactly right. The difference between the Duals, SC/SSC, OC versions really come down to those things.
My advice would be to get the cheapest, good brand, with a min of a dual fan set up. MSI, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte etc.

For the most part you can overclock the vanilla (stock ) versions of the card to a the higher priced cards performance levels. So it's often a waste of cash to buy the more expensive ones unless you want RGB or particular connection ports, or triple fan solution.

Radeon 5500XT results are in and it is difficult to come to a solid conclusion. The 5500XT slots typically between the 1650 Super and the 1660, giving it performance more like the RX 590 while using a lot less power. At the $199 position it is hard to determine which card between the 5500XT and GTX 1660 is the better overall value in the long run. Right now the 1660 is faster by 5-10%, sometimes it is slower as well, at the same price but it has 2GB less VRAM. The less VRAM will make a difference if you plan to keep the card for as long as you have had the GTX 770. This is due to the fact that the new consoles that will be launched in 2020 all will come with more than 16GB RAM. Current rumor is the PS 5 will have 24GB RAM with 20GB dedicated to the GPU. With consoles providing the lowest common denominator for GPUs, figure a lot of games will be designed to take advantage of large amounts of VRAM. That is why the extra 2GB VRAM on the 5500XT will be more useful if you keep the GPU for 5-6 years like your GTX 770.

Compared to the GTX 1660 Super, the 5500XT is always slower and by about 10-15%, some games are 20% slower. The cheapest 1660 Super comes in a $230 or 15% more expensive. Therefore there is a 0% price/performance difference between the 1660 Super and the 5500XT. The same problem with VRAM is possible since the 1660 Super also has 6GB.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15206/the-amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt-review

Dec 10, 2019
That's exactly right. The difference between the Duals, SC/SSC, OC versions really come down to those things.
My advice would be to get the cheapest, good brand, with a min of a dual fan set up. MSI, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte etc.

For the most part you can overclock the vanilla (stock ) versions of the card to a the higher priced cards performance levels. So it's often a waste of cash to buy the more expensive ones unless you want RGB or particular connection ports, or triple fan solution.
Ok thank you.Cheapest i find with dual fan is 245 from Zotac gaming or 255 Phoenix from
Asus.

Radeon 5500XT results are in and it is difficult to come to a solid conclusion. The 5500XT slots typically between the 1650 Super and the 1660, giving it performance more like the RX 590 while using a lot less power. At the $199 position it is hard to determine which card between the 5500XT and GTX 1660 is the better overall value in the long run. Right now the 1660 is faster by 5-10%, sometimes it is slower as well, at the same price but it has 2GB less VRAM. The less VRAM will make a difference if you plan to keep the card for as long as you have had the GTX 770. This is due to the fact that the new consoles that will be launched in 2020 all will come with more than 16GB RAM. Current rumor is the PS 5 will have 24GB RAM with 20GB dedicated to the GPU. With consoles providing the lowest common denominator for GPUs, figure a lot of games will be designed to take advantage of large amounts of VRAM. That is why the extra 2GB VRAM on the 5500XT will be more useful if you keep the GPU for 5-6 years like your GTX 770.

Compared to the GTX 1660 Super, the 5500XT is always slower and by about 10-15%, some games are 20% slower. The cheapest 1660 Super comes in a $230 or 15% more expensive. Therefore there is a 0% price/performance difference between the 1660 Super and the 5500XT. The same problem with VRAM is possible since the 1660 Super also has 6GB.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15206/the-amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt-review

20% slower seems quite alot, even if it may last more 1/2 years right?
This is hard to choose, i just want the best performance/value below 300 :'(
Right now seems 1660 Super is the better choice.
I want it to last like 3-4 years, hopefully by then i can afford a better one :censored:

Ok thank you.Cheapest i find with dual fan is 245 from Zotac gaming or 255 Phoenix from
Asus.

20% slower seems quite alot, even if it may last more 1/2 years right?
This is hard to choose, i just want the best performance/value below 300 :'(
Right now seems 1660 Super is the better choice.
I want it to last like 3-4 years, hopefully by then i can afford a better one :censored:
The most performance right now for sub 300 Euros is the 1660 Super. If you can spare a couple extra Euros you can get a decent/good PSU as well. At least from reviews I have seen of it.
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC Ultra Black Video Card (€249.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Xilence Performance X 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€63.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €313.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-12 17:29 CET+0100

The next best performance would be going up to the RX 5700 at 340 Euros, which is 20 Euros more than your stated budget.

In terms of price/performance the RX580 8GB is the best. While it is 25ish% slower than the 1660 Super, it is also only 2/3 the price. With the RX580 you can also get a high quality PSU.
PCPartPicker Part List

Total: €269.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-12 17:31 CET+0100

Dec 10, 2019
I'm going with the 1660 Super.
As for the psu, Would a *Seasonic core GC 650w 80+ gold, work?Its for 69euros promo in a local store.
Or a Seasonic Core GM 650W Semi Modular 80PLUS Gold, for 79?

I also did a test with my current cpu and the 1660 Super, it says 38% chance of bottleneck?

Last edited:
As for the psu, Would a *Seasonic core GC 650w 80+ gold, work?Its for 69euros promo in a local store.

I also did a test with my current cpu and the 1660 Super, it says 38% chance of bottleneck?
From what I have been able to find the Seasonic Core might be based off of their highly successful & excellent Focus line. On a forum I found someone who contacted Seasonic and asked about the Core line and this is the response that was received:
"The main purpose of the CORE series is for system builders where fewer connectors and lesser performance are needed and the price point more important."
There is also a chance that the Core includes some improvements from the updated Focus line that deals with GPU issues and some random high ripple. Based on this information that should be a very good PSU for the money. If you can find the GM (semi-modular) or GX (fully modular) instead of the GC (not modular) without it being much more expensive I would go with one of those instead. Having used all three levels of modularity I can say that I will never go less than semi-modular anymore. Not having unused cables cluttering the inside of the case is amazing.
https://seasonic.com/core-gc

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Yes, with practically all of those cards, your current CPU may bottleneck, specially in CPU demanding games. But as you've said you will get a new CPU/Mobo/ram down the line. Based on the setup you mentioned with the R3600/16gb ram and the new GPU, you will be good to go for another year or two, and all that would be required afterwards for more longevity will be a new GPU in 2-3 years time to stay relevant.

Dec 10, 2019
From what I have been able to find the Seasonic Core might be based off of their highly successful & excellent Focus line. On a forum I found someone who contacted Seasonic and asked about the Core line and this is the response that was received:
"The main purpose of the CORE series is for system builders where fewer connectors and lesser performance are needed and the price point more important."
There is also a chance that the Core includes some improvements from the updated Focus line that deals with GPU issues and some random high ripple. Based on this information that should be a very good PSU for the money. If you can find the GM (semi-modular) or GX (fully modular) instead of the GC (not modular) without it being much more expensive I would go with one of those instead. Having used all three levels of modularity I can say that I will never go less than semi-modular anymore. Not having unused cables cluttering the inside of the case is amazing.
https://seasonic.com/core-gc
Thanks alot again. I will go with the Seasonic Core GM 650W Semi Modular 80+ then.

Yes, with practically all of those cards, your current CPU may bottleneck, specially in CPU demanding games. But as you've said you will get a new CPU/Mobo/ram down the line. Based on the setup you mentioned with the R3600/16gb ram and the new GPU, you will be good to go for another year or two, and all that would be required afterwards for more longevity will be a new GPU in 2-3 years time to stay relevant.

But there won't be a problem having only the gpu for now?
As for the rest i was thinking.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 – 210€
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max / MSI B450-A Pro Max -90€
G.SKILL SNIPER X 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL19 -85 €

making gpu+cpu+ram+mobo+Psu= Around 715 euros total at this point in time.
Is this a nice upgrade?

It would be a huge upgrade over what you have. Lots of CPU grunt, and GPU power to play games at 1080p with all the grpahical goodness turned up.

It depends on what games you play. In some games, just the GPU alone will give you a massive boost. In other games that are CPU demanding, the CPU will bottleneck your GPU. You will get good FPS, but the CPU when it's maxed out will cause stuttering. The cause is not the GPU. Only the CPU is a bit to weak with only 4c/4t for demanding games. Nearly all new AAA games take advantage of more cores and threads. It will only continue that way. The min i'd recommend for a CPU upgrade is a straight 6 core Intel CPU (8400/9400etc without HT). But even they are starting to max out. The CPU you've chosen is a 6c/12t CPU and is an awesome gamer. There are practically no games that push 100% usage from them right now.

The combo you've highlighted with that GPU will be a solid gamer for a couple of years.

Dec 10, 2019
It would be a huge upgrade over what you have. Lots of CPU grunt, and GPU power to play games at 1080p with all the grpahical goodness turned up.

It depends on what games you play. In some games, just the GPU alone will give you a massive boost. In other games that are CPU demanding, the CPU will bottleneck your GPU. You will get good FPS, but the CPU when it's maxed out will cause stuttering. The cause is not the GPU. Only the CPU is a bit to weak with only 4c/4t for demanding games. Nearly all new AAA games take advantage of more cores and threads. It will only continue that way. The min i'd recommend for a CPU upgrade is a straight 6 core Intel CPU (8400/9400etc without HT). But even they are starting to max out. The CPU you've chosen is a 6c/12t CPU and is an awesome gamer. There are practically no games that push 100% usage from them right now.

The combo you've highlighted with that GPU will be a solid gamer for a couple of years.

I play games like apex legends, battlefield and call of duty right now.

But that's what i want to hear.Getting my Pc to old glory days ;)

As for last question, how often do gpu's get released?As in, i'm just wondering if i could get the cpu+mobo+psu and ram right now, and get the gpu later, since it seems theres all constant new releases...and cpu seems to last for longer periods of time on a system compared to gpu's..