[SOLVED] Upgrade pc

Oct 7, 2020
Hey,

I have an old ho z800 pc and would like to upgrade a things on it.

Atm it has a quadro 4000 graphics card which I intend to swap with a gtx 570

Also it has a xeon e5620 cpu. I was wondering if I could add another similar but better cpu, like the x5690 or smaller. Would both coexist easily or would it make more sense to add another 5620?

The motherboard has 2 slots for cpu.

I am going to use it for video and photo editing only.

Cheers!

Solution
I have a z600 and also a z420 so I know a bit about these machines. :)

Depending on your power supply, you can run practically any gpu you want so long as there are no system bios conflicts with uefi.

Someone has actually run two different cpu types in the z600 before--that's extremely uncommon and definitely not a supported configuration so I wouldn't recommend it. You would need to check your cpu heatsinks to make sure they can handle the heat of an x5690 since it is much more than an e5620, but otherwise would be a solid upgrade:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...70-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5650/1249vs1314vs1307vs1304

As far as what makes sense--it depends on if you need more...
I have a z600 and also a z420 so I know a bit about these machines. :)

Depending on your power supply, you can run practically any gpu you want so long as there are no system bios conflicts with uefi.

Someone has actually run two different cpu types in the z600 before--that's extremely uncommon and definitely not a supported configuration so I wouldn't recommend it. You would need to check your cpu heatsinks to make sure they can handle the heat of an x5690 since it is much more than an e5620, but otherwise would be a solid upgrade:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...70-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5650/1249vs1314vs1307vs1304

As far as what makes sense--it depends on if you need more cores or faster thread performance or both. I have dual x5670 in my Dell R710 and dual x5650 in my z600. I really can't tell the difference between the two in terms of cpu performance.

I would definitely get the fastest gpu you can--that can make a ton of difference with video and photo processing.

Reactions: Mojo33
Solution
Oct 7, 2020
Great, thank you very much!

I ordered a new processor and also was able to get the gtx 570 from my friend. Prob is though, somehow the thing does not recognize it. In device manager it doesn't even show up.

I read I could enable it in bios but would you you know how to get there?

Cheers!

I ordered a new processor and also was able to get the gtx 570 from my friend. Prob is though, somehow the thing does not recognize it. In device manager it doesn't even show up.

I read I could enable it in bios but would you you know how to get there?

Cheers!
You're welcome!

Wait, how are you seeing anything if the 570 isn't working? If you have the quadro still installed, you will need to replace it. Also, the drivers will be different, so that may be an issue.

I don't think you will have to set anything differently in the bios since it would have been set correctly for the quadro, which is video priority on addin card typically called 'peg'.