[SOLVED] Upgrade possibilities.

ghrark2019

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
First off, I know GPUs are hard to find right now. But I'm needing to replace my GPU as it's running much hotter than it used to, which means I only have so much time left before it fries and I'm afraid it's going to go in the next month or so.

With that said, I am not looking to upgrade to an 3080 super or anything spectacular as I only have about 1000 dollars to work with.
I currently am running the following hardware.
ASRock z97 Killer motherboard
ZOTAC 1050 ti 4gb mini Graphics card
I7-4790K "Devil's Canyon" CPU
16GB of DDR3 RAM @2100 MHZ
550W PSU (Bronze rating, if that matters at all)

I know the graphics card is the bottleneck at this time. I know it can play most games at low-mid settings, with older titles like skyrim and diablo 3 at high to ultra.
I am currently into diablo 3 and No Man's Sky on my PC. But I want to get into PUBG, Call of Duty, newer Assassin's creed titles, Cyberpunk 2077 if they can fix the issues, and also want to play beyond for at least another year til tax time again when I can upgrade the CPU and other components.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I am not wanting to argue how old my system is. I know the CPU is outdated. I know i'm due to upgade my entire computer but my budget will not allow that. Either I replace the motherboard, RAM, CPU, SSD, and PSU or I replace the GPU. i figured the GPU is the peripheral is to become obsolete, I should replace that first. Then replace the other parts later on one by one as I can.
Your system is not so old. A 4c/8t chip is still pretty potent for casual gaming. For eg, compared to a current gen. chip, the 4790k can be in the same ballpark of performance, specially when overclocked...
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-10100/2384vs4075
If you can get a decent card for now, you can still...

InvalidError

Titan
Nvidia is supposedly increasing shipments of 1650 non-super, so there is a chance those may drop to somewhat reasonable pricing.

I would just give the 1050Ti a thorough clean to see if that helps, maybe attempt a re-paste if cleaning didn't change anything. Right now, even used prices are out of wack unless you get lucky getting something that actually works for a reasonable price.

ghrark2019

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
I already did the cleaning. I bought this 1050 ti second hand from someone local where I live. The card is flickering and showing lines during games. I already did the cleaning and thermal paste reapplication.
I am only looking at either a 1660 or maybe a 3060 if I can find one. I'm only looking for help upgrading my graphics card. I realize the prices are terrible, I've done the research. I'm just looking for something to get me through the next five years, as that is my upgrade cyce. Every 4 to 5 years I upgrade. The only reason I bought the 1050 ti was to replace my 750 ti, that went bad last year. I want to know if theres much of a difference between the 1660, a 1660 super, and a 2060.

InvalidError

Titan
Since you are overdue to replace your CPU, you may want to consider simply getting a whole system from a boutique builder, that gets you most parts at close to MSRP with a $100-200 build fee. Probably the easiest way to get a current-gen GPU for a reasonable price.

ghrark2019

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
I am not wanting to argue how old my system is. I know the CPU is outdated. I know i'm due to upgade my entire computer but my budget will not allow that. Either I replace the motherboard, RAM, CPU, SSD, and PSU or I replace the GPU. i figured the GPU is the peripheral is to become obsolete, I should replace that first. Then replace the other parts later on one by one as I can.

Last edited:

SuicuneSol

Honorable
Jul 5, 2014
I'm in your exact situation, old system and all. From what I've researched, we have two options:
  1. Since you have a budget of $1000, buy a 1660 Ti or 3060 Ti from Ebay. 3060 will cost a little more than $1000. 1660 Ti slightly less.
  2. Buy a new pre-built PC. No one is trying to argue that your system is old. They're trying to argue that the graphics card market is so bad right now that buying a new PC--with a graphics card included--is more practical than buying a single graphics card. My recommendation is to take advantage of Dell's Spring Sale Event and buy the G5 Gaming Desktop for $1084. It comes with a 1660 Ti inside it and is clearly the best choice.
You said your plan was to buy a new card now, and upgrade the rest of your PC next year. I think you should do the opposite. Get that new PC now. And next year, when the graphics card market has stabilized, that is when you can upgrade your card.

Your system is not so old. A 4c/8t chip is still pretty potent for casual gaming. For eg, compared to a current gen. chip, the 4790k can be in the same ballpark of performance, specially when overclocked...
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-10100/2384vs4075
If you can get a decent card for now, you can still game on it for a couple of years and then go for a complete overhaul. But finding even a decent card right now is the hard part. If I were you, I would call it a day with this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1650 G6 4 GB Phoenix OC Video Card | $414.49 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $414.49
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 02:58 EDT-0400 |

Or you can go the prebuilt route as mentioned above. If you are lucky you might find a good deal there.

Solution